Have I donr this right (confused)

Jamy

Sep 24, 2019
rotherham
I have just installed a new chain using SRam master link. see pictures below as I'm a little confused as the arrows on the master link are pointing in opposite directions. the 1st image is the new chain fitted, 2nd image shows the directional arrow on the derailleur side and the third image is the link on the disc brake side. Its the 1st time i've used this type of chain fixing and it stated the arrows go in the direction of travel. Although 1 is going in the right direction, the other arrow isnt

1st.jpg

2nd.jpg

3rd.jpg

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
Both sides are the same, they can go either way round - the arrow shows which way to close the link.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
And make sure you have the narrow/wide parts of the chain lined up with the narrow/wide teeth on the chainring, I forget to check half the time I take the chain off!

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
SRAM's manual says arrow points in direction of chain travel, but, as pointed out, the other side points in the other direction so I don't get it. Both links are the same so I can't see how it makes a difference. What is important on a 12 speed is that the curve is outwards, as the OP has done.

oceanskipper

Feb 17, 2021
North East
The arrow is the direction of travel of the chain when viewed from the outside - looking at the bike straight on, not through the frame. In the pic the link is fitted correctly. :)

It has markings on both links as it doesn't matter which one of the pair is on the outside as long as the arrow is in the direction of chain travel.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles