Hard mode emtb past speed limit

whitymon

Nov 29, 2023
Europe
After some discussions with some mates I discover the fact that there is a hard mode on an emtb - mostly on full power bike.

Apparently people experience different behaviors or feelings about this when reaching the speed limit in DH, they need to pedal hard instantly.

Some of them describe the feeling as if they would instantly roll over sand or big mud, some other describe it as a sort of slow down or brake feeling, lost of speed.

Do you guys experience this? If so let's share your feedback and motor you are using (pinion, shimano, bafang, bosh, ...)

Thanks!

Streddaz

Jul 7, 2022
Tasmania
After some discussions with some mates I discover the fact that there is a hard mode on an emtb - mostly on full power bike.

Apparently people experience different behaviors or feelings about this when reaching the speed limit in DH, they need to pedal hard instantly.

Some of them describe the feeling as if they would instantly roll over sand or big mud, some other describe it as a sort of slow down or brake feeling, lost of speed.

Do you guys experience this? If so let's share your feedback and motor you are using (pinion, shimano, bafang, bosh, ...)

Thanks!
A hard mode?

Do you just mean the speed cut or when rolling down hill?

All legal pedal assist Ebikes have a speed cut that kicks in at a certain speed depending on the country and that does feel like a big drag when you hit it. If you meant when riding down hill, unless you are having to pedal, you shouldn't feel any extra resistance.

timo2824

Dec 27, 2023
USA
On my N8E I don't feel a big resistance when I hit 20mph, just the lack of assistance. I've heard people complain about it, but it's really not that bad. Some people are complainers that will never be happy...

whitymon

Nov 29, 2023
Europe
Yeah I was just wondering if this was something really real.

I mean I am currently used to pedal a lot, honestly it is a bit hard to figure out if this is an issue to me either without testing on my trails.
I know I need to pedal in some DH section, especially for some jumps, impossible to say if I reach the speed limit there but if it would I guess I will found it right aways.

You know the deal, when purchasing, you do tons of research and you mostly run on people having issues :D

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
If you are just using gravity downhill but then feel the need for extra speed before a jump....and you are already beyond the legal cut off speed there are 2 tactics you can use to tackle the jump without resorting to pedalling. First is to go faster in the early approach by not braking and the second is to pump the bike. Pumping also has the benefit of not disturbing the bike and suspension balance....whereas pedalling will. If speed is still below optimum for the jump, " pop" off the ramp rather than just relying on the ramp providing the compression.
If all of that fails and you have to pedal use 1 or 2 gears lower than you think necessary. Cadence will be high but very little feeling of resistance.

jackamo

Subscriber
May 25, 2023
UK
Only had this issue a few times , well until the postman delivered the appropriate Volspeed for what ever motor o had at the time .

whitymon

Nov 29, 2023
Europe
If you are just using gravity downhill but then feel the need for extra speed before a jump....and you are already beyond the legal cut off speed there are 2 tactics you can use to tackle the jump without resorting to pedalling. First is to go faster in the early approach by not braking and the second is to pump the bike. Pumping also has the benefit of not disturbing the bike and suspension balance....whereas pedalling will. If speed is still below optimum for the jump, " pop" off the ramp rather than just relying on the ramp providing the compression.
If all of that fails and you have to pedal use 1 or 2 gears lower than you think necessary. Cadence will be high but very little feeling of resistance.
Seems legit! I was also under the impression that compression / manual pop was more incline to be a requirement for heavy mtb.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Seems legit! I was also under the impression that compression / manual pop was more incline to be a requirement for heavy mtb.
...not that I have noticed. I use the pop technique if the jump ramp is less than the length of the bike, which is fairly typical on natural trails. In bike parks etc jump ramps are normally at least 2 bike lengths so plenty to compress the bike normally.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Yeah, it's real. The heavier and squishier the bike the worse it is. I have 190mm pole with full dh tires and due to weight, slow tires, little cranks and full squishy suspension jumps above motor cut out that requires pedal an pop to make the distance sucks balls. There are some jumps on the rotorua crankworks dh course i just cant clear because they are faster than motor cut and require hard pedalling and popping. Above motor cut you are better off with an mtb......

Here's one here... just as you hit the corner... motor cut... right when i need a few more kph.. Faaaaaaaaarrrrrk.

I scream out "fuuuuck motor cut out,,,, fuuuuuuck" much like the before "fuck microsoft" clip.

20231006_172604.jpg

20231006_172604(0).jpg
20231006_172605.jpg

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Bosch Gen 4, I never notice it on jump lines. I'm quite fit and I easily pedal on the flat past the assistance cutoff and don't mind. I definitely don't notice on DH runs past cutoff and the bike pedals up to 50kph+ easily... So I'm probably not the best person to answer :ROFLMAO:

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California

Oh, yeah. It's real. When my bike hits the speed limit, I always feel compelled to pedal faster. Faster is cool. Slower is boring. Let me assure you, it's really, really hard.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
I also think its very terrain and riding style dependent.

My local trails are tight, tech, gnarly and or there's plenty of gravity to get speed into the feature. It doesn't impact me 95% of the time.

It's only when i go away wider open faster tracks with flatter section which require the style of pedal/pop above motor cut out without enough gravity assistance. Probably why I haven't bothered putting in a overspeed dongle.

Of course its easy to tap out on the speed limiter on the road or gravel sections. But who cares about that. Its only when you need extra speed to make a feature that it becomes an issue. The other reality is that features above motor cut (32kph) for me that require more speed are getting pretty big. We are talking 8 mtr + gaps. Most e -riders aren't getting anywhere near those sized jumps.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles