Handlebar change

Andy.M

Nov 25, 2020
Rochester UK
I'm going to change my flatbar for a riser.
Thought I'd go with one I've used in the past, nukeproof neutron v2 alloy.
Looking I see they do a horizon v2 alloy. It is lighter but reading it seems it is engineered for aggressive use.
Then I see they do a carbon version, lighter still.
I'm not an aggressive rider but are there any pros or cons to going for either the dearer alloy or carbon versions?
As I have a lighter Focus Jam2 I suppose saving weight where I can is sensible?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The weight is so negligible on an EMTB between them that I wouldn't bother - I run the Horizon V2 on my bikes and really like it, but having said that I cant tell you why I like it, it just works well for me!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@Andy.M Before you go out and buy a new bar, check the current one. I found that the bar on my Focus was a special ebike bar in that it had a fold in the bar for wires to sit in. This allowed the grips to slide on.

Andy.M

Nov 25, 2020
Rochester UK
T
@Andy.M Before you go out and buy a new bar, check the current one. I found that the bar on my Focus was a special ebike bar in that it had a fold in the bar for wires to sit in. This allowed the grips to slide on.
Thanks Steve I’ll have a look first although I can’t say I’ve noticed anything untoward. From memory all the cables are on show. Where should I look?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
T

Thanks Steve I’ll have a look first although I can’t say I’ve noticed anything untoward. From memory all the cables are on show. Where should I look?
Underneath.
The first thing I do on a new bike is to change the grips. The old ones slid right off but the new ones wouldn't go on. That was when I discovered the wires.

Andy.M

Nov 25, 2020
Rochester UK
Underneath.
The first thing I do on a new bike is to change the grips. The old ones slid right off but the new ones wouldn't go on. That was when I discovered the wires.
Aah found the little ******. Under the left grip. Looks like the wire from the E8000 display going to the control switches on the bar.
Don't think there's one on the right but there is a groove under the bar.
I'm guessing that a replacement bar could be used but the wire would have to be routed along the bar instead of inside it. But its another wire on show, mmmmmm.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Aah found the little ******. Under the left grip. Looks like the wire from the E8000 display going to the control switches on the bar.
Don't think there's one on the right but there is a groove under the bar.
I'm guessing that a replacement bar could be used but the wire would have to be routed along the bar instead of inside it. But its another wire on show, mmmmmm.
Glad to be of service!

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
Glad to be of service!
Had exactly the same thing on my Haibike. Ended up having to take the display apart. Broke the connector, had to fork out for a new control switch at £100. Expensive bar change that one.
Im all for a tidy cockpit but routing cables through bars is solving a non existing problem.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles