• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Haibike violent out of balance rear wheel

si99

May 30, 2024
England
Hi everyone,I have a problem with a violent out of balance rear wheel on my Haibike trekking 8 (not an emtb I know)but fitted with a CX generation 4 motor and has the wheel speed sensor magnet mounted around the tyre valve.When the rear wheel is spun up raised from the ground there is a violent up/down undulating motion of the rear of the bike and also while the wheel slows down a roughness can be felt through the frame,I removed the magnet and retried,there is an improvement but the the undulation is still bad. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and maybe offer a solution,thank you.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Has the bike been sat for quite a while and it started when you ride it for the first time in ages, or has the problem slowly got worse. Have you done something to the bike and the problem started afterwards?

If the bike has been sat a while, is it possible that the sealant has hardened and it is that causing the out of balance force? If the tyre has just been remounted, is it settled properly onto the rim? There is a line moulded into the tyre that should be the same distance from the rim the whole way around. If it isn't, then reset it.

Is the wheel actually sat in the frame correctly. I don't know the details of your bike, but if you don't have an axle but dropouts instead, it may be worth looking at that.

Edit: Is it possible to mount the magnet 180 deg away from the valve? The objective is to counter the out of balance forces produced by the weight of the valve + magnet together.

Redbikejohn

Dec 25, 2019
High wycombe
I took my road bike wheel I to be 'fixed' once cos it was jumping up and down. Paid for a balance/true up but the shop had me over as it turned out the tyre had a massive flat spot on it when I did an emergency stop doing 40mph down a hill and locked up wearing the tyre away! Got it home and it was exactly the same as before. Needless to say they've never seen me again.
Tyre might be unseated somewhere. Try taking the tyre off and checking run out on wheel

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles