Haibike adding USB port

Bullmonster

May 10, 2021
London
Hi has anyone added a USB port to their bike, I want the USB charging as I am looking to do the C2C run, and using my phone as a satnav with Komoot.

I'm looking to cut into the battery power and install a regulator from 42 volts using these devices,

Has anyone else done this and if so any pointers/pictures? I would like to get a wiring schematic/PDF if anyone can point me in the right direction.

I will be doing this on my 2021 Haibike Trekking 4.0 with Yamaha PW-ST

many thanks in advance.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Hi has anyone added a USB port to their bike, I want the USB charging as I am looking to do the C2C run, and using my phone as a satnav with Komoot.

I'm looking to cut into the battery power and install a regulator from 42 volts using these devices,

Has anyone else done this and if so any pointers/pictures? I would like to get a wiring schematic/PDF if anyone can point me in the right direction.

I will be doing this on my 2021 Haibike Trekking 4.0 with Yamaha PW-ST

many thanks in advance.

Can't help on a wiring schematic but personally I'd take a solar panel attached to a rucksack / pannier and charge a powerbank battery whilst on the move. I'd also use a small Garmin Edge device for simple sat nav as the batteries last for ages and don't take long to fully charge from empty, whereas phones' take ages. It also leaves your bike cockpit looking neat & tidy rather than clustered with gadgets. Phone in pocket can be referred to on OS map app if totally lost

Bullmonster

May 10, 2021
London
Thanks, Tubby It is a good point to keep it separate, I was looking at a Garmin but the software is so bad and never works when syncing from my experience, but forgetting that I like the idea of the solar panel I will have a look into it.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Would it be simpler to take a couple of large AH powerpacks that you can recharge when you stop at night, presumably you'll also be needing to charge the bike's battery/batteries (if you take a spare) overnight.
I purchased a cheapish s/h Android phone (Pixel 3XL) that has a large battery that I've installed the OS Maps app on and deleted or disabled as many functions/apps as possible to get the max battery life. This way if it dies I've still got my sim'd phone if required. The phone and powerpacks live in a top tube bag.

Bullmonster

May 10, 2021
London
Would it be simpler to take a couple of large AH powerpacks that you can recharge when you stop at night, presumably you'll also be needing to charge the bike's battery/batteries (if you take a spare) overnight.
I purchased a cheapish s/h Android phone (Pixel 3XL) that has a large battery that I've installed the OS Maps app on and deleted or disabled as many functions/apps as possible to get the max battery life. This way if it dies I've still got my sim'd phone if required. The phone and powerpacks live in a top tube bag.
Thanks for the input, point taken on the apps, I was looking at the "ulephone 9" as this has a massive battery but the costs all add up.

I would be interested in finding out from others that have done the cost to cost and their experience with using Ebike and recharging, especially if I intend to wild camp the route and if anyone has successfully recharged their ebike with solar or if its even possible or will i reluctantly have to stop at every pub on the way :) .

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Thanks for the input, point taken on the apps, I was looking at the "ulephone 9" as this has a massive battery but the costs all add up.

I would be interested in finding out from others that have done the cost to cost and their experience with using Ebike and recharging, especially if I intend to wild camp the route and if anyone has successfully recharged their ebike with solar or if its even possible or will i reluctantly have to stop at every pub on the way :) .

There is a absolutely no way you’d be able to charge a bike battery from a solar panel, unless the PV panel itself is HUGE

However, if you’re wild camping you could take one of these with you to charge the battery and tow it along the coast to coast route:

F8D88B89-652C-4DF0-AFBA-0647D8353D86.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles