Guide RE with 220mm rotors?

Beezerk

Mar 23, 2019
Gateshead
I've tried searching I promise but there are so many bits of information on multiple threads, plus I've had a couple of shandies ?
I'm looking at upgrading the rotors on my 2019 Whyte E150-S to 220mm, my pal has done it on his Kenevo and he loves them and I'm a touch jealous.
Brakes are Guide RE, my question is, what adapter do I need to buy for them to fit?
Also, are there any hidden problems, such as I vaguely recall reading that the Hope 220mm rotors catch the Guide calipers so are no good.

Cisco

May 1, 2018
Elderslie
here you go 12 quid..https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Galfer-Disc-Brake-Rotor-Adaptor-Fits-Front-Discs-180mm-220mm-SB001-40mm/123828881633?epid=23022413879&hash=item1cd4c6c8e1:g:xmoAAOSwUWldI16p
galfer 220 disc mount.jpg

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
Whatever mount you use, eye up the swept area to make sure the caliper is spaced properly (pads not outboard/inboard of the disc). I note in the pic above that spacer washers have been used under the caliper, I didnt need/want any under mine. Some mounts are shorter specifically for the purpose of running washers under, some aren't. I just used a normal Magura 160>200 mount (same as 180 to 220) on my Yaris and its perfect without anything under the caliper.

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
Meant to add, the washers above may have been needed under the caliper to make it work with 223's? (I used Hope 220)

Cisco

May 1, 2018
Elderslie
Meant to add, the washers above may have been needed under the caliper to make it work with 223's? (I used Hope 220)
The cup/conical washer is dictated by the caliper. For example if you were using a Guide caliper instead of Guide RE caliper then the cup/cone spacer would not be required.

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
The cup/conical washer is dictated by the caliper. For example if you were using a Guide caliper instead of Guide RE caliper then the cup/cone spacer would not be required.

Yeah I thought as much, fair enough. I assume the RE caliper has been designed from the outset to use cup/cones underneath. I dont like it though as it goes against the interests of standardisation. I would wager that more than a few riders have been caught out, given that most calipers dont use cup/cone under them. Any oddball alignment system should be built into the caliper imo.

Beezerk

Mar 23, 2019
Gateshead
So I finally got around to fitting the parts, Hope 220mm rotors, those Galfer adapters and some new Uber Bikes pads.
Front brakes were a doddle, fitted perfectly first time, rear brake, what a fecking carry on.
If I had the adapter one way around the calipers were too near to the rotor so were fouling on it, it looked like the caliper needed packing way out which I didn't want to do. Turned the adapter round and tried again, better fit but even with the washers removed between the caliper and adapter there is only about half coverage of the pads on the rotors ?
I sacked it off as I was on the verge of throwing my tools across the garden ?
My next move is to try the original adapter from the front brake to see if that works as it looks a bit lower but not today because it's just started to piss it down.
On the plus side, I'd read about having to file down Guide RE calipers as the rivets on the rotors catch, I didn't have this problem thankfully.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles