Greasing a headset

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
My OEM bearings are creaky and rusty. I’m ashamed to say, but I’ve never really done any maintainence to them. Each time I pick the bike up to use it, they feel a bit siezed, and loosen off with a few turns.

I just received a new Chris King Dropset 5, and want to keep it in good shape.
Before fitting, should I be caking it in grease? What type? Just a general multipurpose grease?
I have a tube of Park Tool HPG high performance grease - will that do the job?

Thank you!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Any grease is better than no grease, but I reckon that a grease that is specifically water resistant is better. And you don't have to cake it!
I use Weldtite TF2 bike grease.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I use a general purpose lithium grease on the headset.........in fact everywhere on the bike except the freehub!
I apply a thin layer of grease on the bearing races and on both the faces and over the seals of the cartridge bearings. When re assembling it is likely the steerer will pick up some grease, so that needs cleaning with IPA to ensure the clamp gets good grip on it. Finally I force some grease into the small gap between headset and fork...then wipe clean. This helps prevent water and dust getting onto the lower bearing. Best plan is to clean and regrease on a fairly regular basis depending on the conditions you ride in, but certainly every 4/5 months.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Sealed bearing headsets don't need operating grease (like a loose bearing headset does) as the moving parts are pre greased inside the sealed bearings. just use assembly grease to seat the bearings and crown race/expander ring.
The bearing and headset seals are what keeps water out. Not waterproof grease.
The TF2 grease linked to above is just a general workshop grease and doesn't have particularly good waterproofing properties anyway.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Thanks all...
I wondered if grease would be required at all with it being a sealed bearing. I thought that was why it had a lifetime warranty and cost 5x that of a regular set of bearings.

I’ve just ordered a little whiteboard from Amazon, so I can put it on my garage wall to keep track of bike maintenance.
When pedal services are due, when to rotate my chain etc. Hopefully it’ll help keep everything in good shape if I do regular cleaning /regreasing etc.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles