Gossip, supply shortages

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I fell into chatting to two guys on their bikes today. One of them had a high end GIANT Trance (analogue). He said he'd had loads of them and that he was "in the trade". We got talking about the shortages of bikes. He said that GIANT was a Taiwanese company, whereas I had always thought it was an American company. He said the the GIANT factory in Taiwan is absolutely huge and fully integrated. They make their own aluminium alloy and all their frames. They also make all the alloy frames for many other bikes (He rattled off many names, but because I've got one, I remembered that Focus was one of them). Many bike makers design their own frames but then get them made by GIANT. (What an intellectual gift that is to GIANT!). Following the Covid-19 outbreak, the factory closed completely for one month and then took ages to get back up to speed again. Consequently, frames are in short supply. Not so much for GIANT of course but definitely for everyone else! (Well what would you do if you were GIANT?)

He also slipped in that Shimano's factories in Japan closed for four months! That explains a lot.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Its not just bikes ...other " software" such as clothing is also in short supply ..Ive had a pair of Endura Burner Pants paid for about a month ago and due to the retailer on Nov 6th now with an eta of early December ..
I'm sticking with it 'cos I really want them ..but he did say that Endura as a brand are really short on stock ..

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Another bit of gossip. DVO has done a deal with IBIS to provide their suspension (some or all, dunno). It may just be shocks, not sure, as I was discussing the Topaz T3 at the time. The demand from IBIS for shocks, no doubt driven by IBIS selling loads of bikes, caught out DVO and led to shortages in the aftermarket. New supplies are due in to the UK in December, unless they are slowed down by Customs getting ready for Brexit.

By gossip, I mean what I hear from other riders. I am not some insider spy in the bike industry!

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Yes it's hit other consumerables as well. I went into a couple of chain stores looking for some brake pads & they were out of stock with Shimano (NZ) unsure when they're coming in. Luckily the small corner LBS had some. I mentioned to the owner noone else seems to carry them & he smiled & said being independent means he has to keep a eye on stock levels & not just rely on the mothership being able to restock. With summer coming on over here & everyone out & about the bike shops are looking as empty as they were post the covid lockdown.

geehaw

Nov 17, 2019
Melbourne Australia
I fell into chatting to two guys on their bikes today. One of them had a high end GIANT Trance (analogue). He said he'd had loads of them and that he was "in the trade". We got talking about the shortages of bikes. He said that GIANT was a Taiwanese company, whereas I had always thought it was an American company. He said the the GIANT factory in Taiwan is absolutely huge and fully integrated. They make their own aluminium alloy and all their frames. They also make all the alloy frames for many other bikes (He rattled off many names, but because I've got one, I remembered that Focus was one of them). Many bike makers design their own frames but then get them made by GIANT. (What an intellectual gift that is to GIANT!). Following the Covid-19 outbreak, the factory closed completely for one month and then took ages to get back up to speed again. Consequently, frames are in short supply. Not so much for GIANT of course but definitely for everyone else! (Well what would you do if you were GIANT?)

He also slipped in that Shimano's factories in Japan closed for four months! That explains a lot.
MERIDA is the other big frame maker in Taiwan. They make the Specialized frames as well as some others under contract.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
What an intellectual gift that is to GIANT!

It has been my opinion that since Giant developed the Maestro suspension system of the mass produced brands they have had either the best rear suspension or close to it every year. Of course, the whole system was developed as a rip-off of Dave Weagles work. Then again, many believe Daves system was a modified version of Horst Lietners Horst Link system. Having seen Horsts system on a motorcycle in the early 80's I will not disagree with that opinion.
As an aside - Giant were one of the pioneers of hydroforming aluminum alloy frame tubes.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles