Gopro Hero 7: What PC editing software are you using, and why?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Massive noob post here:
Just got the Hero7 Black. Haven't even used it yet and honestly don't know very much about using it yet. (but have been watching youtube guides on settings)
I also upgraded my crappy old falling apart laptop to a S/H Lenevo i7 with 16GB ram and 500GB HDD (I already have a couple of ext 500GB HDDs)
I'm obviously going to need to get some decent software for editing. But I have no idea where to start.
I have used the Gopro suite once or twice years ago with a Hero5 (whenever they were currently new) and found it a bit basic/clunky.
I'd prefer to have just one software solution to edit footage and make decent edits with but will also be using devinci resolve for colour correction pre-upload. Guessing all the editing software available allows you to add/edit sound?

What do you guys use? and why? (Cost isn't a huge factor but I don't see me needing full professional features just yet)

I know there are plenty other Gopro threads here but wanted this one to be about the software more than anything else.

Last edited:

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
Really getting into Lumatouch on the iPad.
Far more features than you would think possible on a tablet or phone.
You can add LUT’s, do green screen, uses key framing for effects and titling. 3 video tracks, 3 audio tracks, 4K 60 FPS and about £25.

Used FCP, Resolve, and the usual GoPro Studio, iMovie etc but I’m finding Lumatouch is the one I reach for now, it’s handy, portable and doesn’t lack features. Have a look on YouTube.

I guess it depends on how Pro you want to go, not a lot of help if you have dropped a load of cash on a new laptop though.....

Kangr

Patreon
Sep 14, 2018
Stoke on Trent
Not got a GoPro but use adobe after effects and Premier for editing.
I have used adobe products for years and love the versatility of After Effects. this is not a video editor as such more a app for creating titles, animations and effects. The best way to thing of After effects is Photoshop with a timeline.
for straight editing that's where premier comes in for me. The only other software I have used in recent years was windows movie maker, though I don't think this comes with windows now.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Thanks @Eckythump. But Sorry, should have said. I don't have an iPad and never will. I still haven't forgiven EVIL Apple IND for my daughters iPod/iTunes ruining my MP3 music collection over a decade ago. I don't really like tablets anyway.
PC software (Windows 10).
Laptop wasn't expensive. My money is generally spent on the 3 Bs not gadgets ;)

Thanks @Kangr I think I'd prefer to stick to just the one program if possible for editting, effects and titling. At first anyway. I'm going to be confused enough for a good while learning all this.

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
I'm using Hitfilm Express. Was considering Devinci Resolve but can't be bothered to learn a new editor.

Krisj

Patreon
May 1, 2018
Sheffield
Hey up dude Congrats on your new purchase hero7 is the way forward.
I use filmora it’s about 30 quid for the year , they do a fully functioning trail version which is good so you can play about with it and see if it’s the software for you. When you do final export it will have there water mark across it at this stage you can opt to purchase if you choose or you can just edit complete with water mark.
I find it really easy to use which is an added bonus for me anyway who grow up living through the 90’ rave seen and brain cells are scares now days , I could do with another 16gb of ram chucking in my head.
Anyway as a newbie like myself I’m sure you’ll find it really good and easy to use and within no time you’ll be creating some pretty cool looking videos
For music if airing on YouTube you’ll need copyright free tunes there’s shit loads on the net.
If you do get it feel free to ask for any pointers dude on using it no worries.

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
If you know Resolve why not just stick with that? It does titles, you can do picture in picture etc and like you mentioned colour correction is second to none.

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
+1 vote for Resolve. I'm a Lumafusion fanboy now too, but when I used my PC I used Resolve for editing, colour correction and all. It's great! The only thing I didn't like about it was that it doesn't save projects to individual files, only to a big local database thing. Makes backing up and moving edits between desktop/laptop difficult...

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
If you know Resolve why not just stick with that?
I don't know it at all. I've only just D/L it and haven't even uploaded any GP footage yet. I simply watched a video on Youtube showing how to use it for colour correction. I didn't even realise it was a full video editor.
But thanks. From your recommendation I'll just use it for editing too seeing as it's there and free.

Still open to other suggestions, recommendations and more importantly info on why folk like particular products.

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
Still open to other suggestions, recommendations and more importantly info on why folk like particular products.

You really need to think how far you want to go with your videos.

There is definitely a case for basic software like GoPro Studio and its ilk as they are quick & easy to use and you are far more likely to continue producing content.

With the heavyweights, you might produce one ace, original, video then chuck it in because it is such a chore.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
You really need to think how far you want to go with your videos.
It's day 2 of owning the Gopro. It's all new to me mate.
I've absolutely no idea how far I want to go with videos.
One step at a time, eh? ;)

I've just emphasised the first point in my OP by making it bold.

#TechGenius

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
devinci resolve for colour correction pre-upload
I'd 100% start with GoPro colour and use that. It's much much better at colour compared to what it used to be. Dont worry about any colour correction / grading to start with, it will just slow your workflow down.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Thanks for the advice Rob
Excuse my ignrance but by
GoPro colour
? do you mean choosing it in the gopro camera settings, yeah?

Sorry. I honestly know barely anything at all about camera settings. I watched a few Loam ranger and Jordan boostmaster videos where they went through their settings and just sort of copied roughly between waht they both suggested to use. Both of their tutorials said to turn protune on and use "flat" for the colour and to alter it in editing. So I blindly just followed their advice. I'm happy not to have to do that if the results are good.
Are all your videos done in Gopro colour?
I noticed when you rode Scotland with Andrew (McTR) your video quality looked awesome and his didn't look anywhere near as polished. The Irony was that I knew the trails fairly well and his looked more recognisable than yours If I'm making sense?
I also get the impression most of your videos are shot in fairly good onditions with good light. I guess that's the ideal, eh?
I don't know if it's even possible to make dark damp woods look good? Or if it's even worth filming at all in the rain.
This is all a mega steep learning curve for someone like me.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles