GoPro editing for an absolute DAB (dumb ass b@stard)

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
I’ve had a GoPro 9 black for going on two years now but I’m still struggling with the editing side of things, I’ve got a 2021 iMac with an 1 TB external hard drive so I’ve got all the foundation tech in place, does anyone know of a very very simple “ how to edit GoPro footage for someone who’s an absolute idiot “ guide even if I have to buy it I don’t care, I’ve got about 20 rides recorded and I think it’s high time I got it edited and posted on YouTube, my dearest Mum passed away on Sunday and I think I might have some footage of her on my hard drive too, thanks guys.

Bones

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
I edit mine in DaVinci resolve free edition. Its a massive learning curve but there is plenty of you tube vids to get you going.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The majority of video editing programmes use very much the same techniques so if you earn one you have a head start for any other you find to suit you better. There is however no shortcut to spending a little time to learn the basics. You can do no harm to your existing videos by importing copies into an editing suite so you can experiment as much as you like without any penalty...except time. The basics really only consist of 4 things
1. How to import your clips
2. How to scub bits you do not want
3 How to join together what is left.
4. How to render/export
If you videos include onboard voice and sound effects then you are done.

Next to get a little more polish you can learn how to add titles and transitions and maybe a music or audio track ( dont use copyright music!!).

Once you get involved in editing even at a basic level you soon learn that what matters most is CONTENT and that is created when you switch your Gopro on. So you learn about when it is worth having gopro on and when what you are shooting will only get edited out so why bother! You learn a bout getting the right perspective....angles/lighting etc and creating context and a story. In fact you learn that the most significant design decisions that will make any video interesting, happens before you even start to video............creating a basic storyboard in advance gives you a structure to follow when you arrive at the trail etc and start taking video clips.

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
The majority of video editing programmes use very much the same techniques so if you earn one you have a head start for any other you find to suit you better. There is however no shortcut to spending a little time to learn the basics. You can do no harm to your existing videos by importing copies into an editing suite so you can experiment as much as you like without any penalty...except time. The basics really only consist of 4 things
1. How to import your clips
2. How to scub bits you do not want
3 How to join together what is left.
4. How to render/export
If you videos include onboard voice and sound effects then you are done.

Next to get a little more polish you can learn how to add titles and transitions and maybe a music or audio track ( dont use copyright music!!).

Once you get involved in editing even at a basic level you soon learn that what matters most is CONTENT and that is created when you switch your Gopro on. So you learn about when it is worth having gopro on and when what you are shooting will only get edited out so why bother! You learn a bout getting the right perspective....angles/lighting etc and creating context and a story. In fact you learn that the most significant design decisions that will make any video interesting, happens before you even start to video............creating a basic storyboard in advance gives you a structure to follow when you arrive at the trail etc and start taking video clips.
Thanks Mike, I will try to have a look tomorrow, I very much appreciate your response, I appreciate it even more so when I’ve read what you’ve typed and taken it in more, I haven’t looked at my iMac yet because of all the arrangements and phone calls we’ve had to make with my Mum’s funeral etc but I will do in the days and weeks to come and when I do finally get back the love of mountain biking and get back out I will definitely employ the advice you’ve given me with regards to when and when not to start recording, plus the other advice on the process of editing, thanks again Mike 🙏

Last edited:

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
I’ve had a GoPro 9 black for going on two years now but I’m still struggling with the editing side of things, I’ve got a 2021 iMac with an 1 TB external hard drive so I’ve got all the foundation tech in place, does anyone know of a very very simple “ how to edit GoPro footage for someone who’s an absolute idiot “ guide even if I have to buy it I don’t care, I’ve got about 20 rides recorded and I think it’s high time I got it edited and posted on YouTube, my dearest Mum passed away on Sunday and I think I might have some footage of her on my hard drive too, thanks guys.
Deepest condolences to you and all the family.

For me the simplest and most productive is the quick app. I'm going to assume you have a mobile phone ? Just download your footage via the app and edit,trim,highlight etc and save your project either to phone or direct to desired social media.
Of course there are better editing softwares and as mentioned they all have their learning curves but once you get the basics you can create videos easily but for quick hassle free the GoPro quick app on mobile is by far the easiest.

Personally I only work on android mobile and have youcut editor along side quick to further more my edits if I have the time to bother lol.

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Just a little follow on from @Mikerb post.... Copyright music material, if just posting on YouTube and your account is not monetised you will find most ( not all ) artists allow the use of their work. I've only recently been experimenting with this lol and albeit you do get a copyright claim notice it does not affect your video if said artist allows the music to be used.

Quick on the other hand states it's music tracks are all copyright free but I've had a few copyright claims when using their tracks in app but even so it's another pro for quick to have a extensive library at hand to include in your edits.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Just a little follow on from @Mikerb post.... Copyright music material, if just posting on YouTube and your account is not monetised you will find most ( not all ) artists allow the use of their work. I've only recently been experimenting with this lol and albeit you do get a copyright claim notice it does not affect your video if said artist allows the music to be used.

Quick on the other hand states it's music tracks are all copyright free but I've had a few copyright claims when using their tracks in app but even so it's another pro for quick to have a extensive library at hand to include in your edits.
I use copyright free music from jamendo.com

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Thank you for your kind words guys, I did have a look at my iMac on Saturday and went onto the iMovie editing suite and I did actually make a little progress but things have taken a downward spiral mentally not least of all the funeral arrangements and my Mum’s affairs, when I’m in a better place mentally I’ll have another look, at the moment I’m trying to prioritise things, I really appreciate all your help and advice guys

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Thank you for your kind words guys, I did have a look at my iMac on Saturday and went onto the iMovie editing suite and I did actually make a little progress but things have taken a downward spiral mentally not least of all the funeral arrangements and my Mum’s affairs, when I’m in a better place mentally I’ll have another look, at the moment I’m trying to prioritise things, I really appreciate all your help and advice guys
Totally understandable you'll never get over your loss but I promise it gets easier in time bro. I hope you have a little help from somewhere as I know it's a tough job emotionally and mentally having to deal with grief and arrangements at the same time. Keep your chin up mate .

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Oh trust me I fully understand what it’s like, this is the third family member I’ve lost in close succession, in fact I’m the last one left in our direct family so I feel totally destroyed and hollow at the moment but I do thank you for your kind words mate 🙏

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles