Good evening from the Surrey Hills

Jul 4, 2020
Surrey
Hi, hope that none of you has been affected too badly by this bug that seems to be going around.

Live in Southwest Surrey, the Cycle Surrey Hills network of trails passes my small town, created in 2018 they got me thinking about my youth and the fun I had on mountain bikes in the 1980's, first bike a Specialized Stumpjumper bought from Bike UK in Clapham in 1986. So last Easter bought a Merlin Malt + and have been loving getting out and seeing the area from a different perspective. But now, as when a kid, hills do me in. I try my best and then walk the rest, but am so done in from the effort that the ride isn't so enjoyable. Then I saw people whizzing past with bulky cranks, it seems that e-mtbs are the answer to my prayers.

Are they?

Looking at a Canyon Spectral ON CF7, four grand on a bike seems insane, but the two grand ones look like they'll fall to bits fairly quickly and seeing as e-mtbs go up to well over 10K, the Canyon looks like good value. Will be able to shell out in mid-August, so in the mean time looking to make sure I make the right choices, as really don't want to get it wrong with such a large lump of dough!

Nickyhammers

Jul 6, 2020
South London
Hi, hope that none of you has been affected too badly by this bug that seems to be going around.

Live in Southwest Surrey, the Cycle Surrey Hills network of trails passes my small town, created in 2018 they got me thinking about my youth and the fun I had on mountain bikes in the 1980's, first bike a Specialized Stumpjumper bought from Bike UK in Clapham in 1986. So last Easter bought a Merlin Malt + and have been loving getting out and seeing the area from a different perspective. But now, as when a kid, hills do me in. I try my best and then walk the rest, but am so done in from the effort that the ride isn't so enjoyable. Then I saw people whizzing past with bulky cranks, it seems that e-mtbs are the answer to my prayers.

Are they?

Looking at a Canyon Spectral ON CF7, four grand on a bike seems insane, but the two grand ones look like they'll fall to bits fairly quickly and seeing as e-mtbs go up to well over 10K, the Canyon looks like good value. Will be able to shell out in mid-August, so in the mean time looking to make sure I make the right choices, as really don't want to get it wrong with such a large lump of dough!
The answer is a big yes ! I along with my mates live in East Surrey on the North Downs. We are all in our late forties and not in the same shape as when we used to ride together as kids . Ebikes have been an absolute revelation in getting us all out again , you definitely won‘t regret it. On bikes I would have a look at the Cube range, I think they give you great bang for your buck.

backcountry00

Jun 29, 2020
London/Kent UK

Are they?

Welcome.
I ride at SH fairly regularly, although live about an hour away in Bromley.
I’ve only just picked up an emtb, but have been riding standard mtb for around 15 years on and off.
Yes, they are outrageously expensive for what they are but I have to say it’s worth every penny. I’m enjoying the emtb far more than I thought, mainly as I can fast-forward all the bits of the trail (another forum member used this expression and I thought it was pretty accurate!) that are tedious and hard work, and just do the stuff that I enjoy.

I’m still just as tired after my ride, but I’ve travelled 40% further in the same time and done a lot more of the trails that I like.
So I’d absolutely recommend you do it. But if in doubt maybe hire one for the day (I think maybe Swinley or Bedgebury have emtb hire) and see whether you think it’s worth dropping £4K on one?

Happy riding ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles