Good but lightweight and compact lock

• Thread starter Deleted member 2899
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2899

As the title says. I've read lots of reviews but I'm after personal recommendations for a high quality lock that is portable and compact to be deployed when I go to trail centres or visit a cafe. I will probably carry it in a pack, so not an all singing weighs a ton gold standard chain and lock, I already have those. The foldable ones look quite good, I see both Abus and Kryptonite do them.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I use a lock that is suitable for suitcases or rucksacks. It is not for leaving your bike out of sight for long periods, but more as a deterrent to make the thief choose someone else's bike instead while you are having a pee or ordering your coffee to go. Some of my mates have them and we link them all together through several bikes and it would slow down the thief enough (we hope).

It is small, light in weight (90g) and easy to use. It has one metre of cable.

Edit: Hmmm, the link I pasted in keeps getting replaced with a blank media file. Instead just Google "4 dial combination retractable cable lock"

ChrisB NZ

Aug 21, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
I use a Bordo Alarm. It's a medium duty foldable lock with the added bonus of having an alarm built in. It's heavy enough to deter most thieves but not super heavy for carrying. Perfect for those Cafe stops.

I usually just strap it to my top tube with Velcro straps.

D

Deleted member 2899

I like the idea of one with an alarm, I'll investigate further.

MartinD.

Apr 4, 2021
Halifax, UK
Now, you might laugh, but I use a HipLok which weighs in at a chubby 2kgs. Wear it around your waist and you can hardly feel it. It's properly hardcore, too, 10mm chain / 12mm shackle and 1 metre long. It's so good I use it for my motorbikes as well (although it is a bit short for that). I frequently leave it "wherever" locked to an object so I don't actually need to carry it as often.

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
I use a Bordo Alarm. It's a medium duty foldable lock with the added bonus of having an alarm built in. It's heavy enough to deter most thieves but not super heavy for carrying. Perfect for those Cafe stops.

I usually just strap it to my top tube with Velcro straps.
I've got the long version of that. Love the alarm. I can hear if it goes off from my office. Not exactly lightweight, but that's not too much of a problem as I strap the mount to the top tube for commuting. Wouldn't want it there when riding off-road, though. Too much potential for damage to the crown jewels.
General tip: assume that any lock can be broken in a few minutes and try to make your bike look like more hassle than the ones next to it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles