Gloves with side protection

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
There are plenty of gloves out there with knuckle protection, but anyone know of gloves with knuckle protection and side protection? If I fall, I tend to hit the side of my hand, not the knuckles. Although I definitely want knuckle protection as well, as one time it did indeed save my knuckles from further damage.

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
I had some Fox motocross gloves which had side protection, tbh never seen any in the mtb world. I suspect youd be looking at motocross rather than mtb gloves although someone else on here may know different ?

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
I had some Fox motocross gloves which had side protection, tbh never seen any in the mtb world. I suspect youd be looking at motocross rather than mtb gloves although someone else on here may know different ?
Yes I think so as well. Those would be fine on an ebike in cooler temps. I'll see if I can find some. G-Form have gloves with knuckle protection, and another with side protection - but not both! I emailed them to let them know they should do both!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
@Zimmerframe may have some options, he likes to launch himself into the ground and has tried various armoured products.
Alas, I'm yet to find any gloves where I think WOW ... Presently running some cheapo amazon sourced MX ones which seem ok. All the MTB ones I've tried so far have fallen apart, torn in crashes or were just not very good.

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Alas, I'm yet to find any gloves where I think WOW ... Presently running some cheapo amazon sourced MX ones which seem ok. All the MTB ones I've tried so far have fallen apart, torn in crashes or were just not very good.
Same

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
Poc vpd? Nb they fit small so go up a size from usual.

The palm pad covers from the wrist to 2/3 down the 5 th metacarpal, then there is overlap with the area covered by the padding under the superfabric on the back.

6869CAB6-E820-4B5B-8BDE-48EE41EA704F.jpeg

B499C0F8-A236-4097-BA36-0DF995C94EE7.jpeg

Davemtb

Jul 12, 2020
Australia
There are plenty of gloves out there with knuckle protection, but anyone know of gloves with knuckle protection and side protection? If I fall, I tend to hit the side of my hand, not the knuckles. Although I definitely want knuckle protection as well, as one time it did indeed save my knuckles from further damage.
Currently trying these MX type gloves - great protection everywhere, still plenty of dexterity, touch screen compatible, hands feel very protected when fanging past the trees, and rubber protection over each finger including little finger. I've mashed my pinky several times against trees with normal light mtb gloves. I don't understand why normal mtb gloves are lacking pinky protection!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Currently trying these MX type gloves - great protection everywhere, still plenty of dexterity, touch screen compatible, hands feel very protected when fanging past the trees, and rubber protection over each finger including little finger. I've mashed my pinky several times against trees with normal light mtb gloves. I don't understand why normal mtb gloves are lacking pinky protection!
LOL .. they're the same as my crappy amazon ones I'm using at the moment :)

gloves.jpg

Have to say they're 10 times better than my Fox dirtpaw's and have already outlasted them. Much better finger protection when riding through point things. Phones work with them. Not too hot, though still not ideal when it's hot. Fairly comfortable. There were a few rub/joints inside which were uncomfortable after a while for the first few weeks but those seem to have worn in now .

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Ha funny I've also ordered those off Amazon. Will be here Monday.

I'm currently riding with these which are great. These are shooting gloves, so the trigger finger (brake lever finger for us) doesn't have any outside rubber so it's easier to pull the trigger/pull the brake lever. But... no side protection. Still, better than the vast majority of bike gloves I've tried (so far)

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Giro Remedy might fit the bill. But, (always remember to ignore everything before the "but") they are quite light.
Arrived today. These are a step in the right direction, but as you mention are very light. But, will do for hot summer days. They turned out to be too small for me, but fit the wife perfectly... so she's happy.

I'm not so sure about those Amazon gloves. The knuckle protectors are hard plastic and could cause as much harm as protection in a crash. Sticking with the Mechanix for the time being, but if I see the VPD in a sale in the winter I'll pick them up.

GMLS

Jun 22, 2020
Surrey
Wow. With all the manufacturers and products on sale, it looks like there is clearly still a gap in the market as looking for similar

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles