Giant Stance E+ EX and empty battery

paaland

Aug 31, 2022
Norway
Ran out of battery on my way home yesterday. It went from 10% to 0% and turned totally off within a minute when I was trying to go up a steep hill. Though I'd just push the bike up and continue un-powered for the rest of the way home.

But the harder I used the pedals the more resistance I got from the motor. It was totally impossible to ride anything but down hill or flat parts. I felt like I had to turn the motor in addition to the wheels and the harder I pedalled the more resistance I got from the motor.

Several places it said that you should be able to hold down the "-" button to turn off motor assistance and ride the bike as normal (although a 25+ kg bike).

1. My bike was dead, and the Ride Control Dash did not even want to turn on
2. Later, after having charged the battery I tried this, but holding down - only goes to "auto" assistance mode.

Is there no way to "disconnect" the motor on these bikes when the power starts running low?

Last edited:

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
As far as im aware there is no way to physically "disconnect" the motor as your riding, however you can turn off the assist completely by pressing the - button until no LED's are illuminated on the assist levels. The bike will still be powered on, showing battery level and recording data etc but no assist will be given when pedalling. This is how I ride most of the time to get max range, only calling for assist on climbs when required. Unfortunately judging your range is a matter of experience, I find when planning a ride its better and more accurate for me to look at the amount of elevation involved rather than the km. I know on a 625 battery regardless of distance if im under 1500mtrs of climbing im ok for a loop, more than that and im going to be puffing. You never forget your first flatline on the battery and it rarely happens twice.(y)

Kiwi Giant

Subscriber
Feb 11, 2020
New Zealand
Turn off bike, take off your chain, rotate pedals, that is the amount of resistance your motor is providing. Big tyres, a heavy bike and gearing tailored to a bike with a motor is not conducive to analogue riding.

paaland

Aug 31, 2022
Norway
I've tried to turn power assistance to off after having charged the battery and it's much better now than when the battery died. I suspect that when the power died with power assistance on something did not disconnect and I somehow had to turn the motor as a generator trying to bike manually.

Kiwi Giant

Subscriber
Feb 11, 2020
New Zealand
I've tried to turn power assistance to off after having charged the battery and it's much better now than when the battery died. I suspect that when the power died with power assistance on something did not disconnect and I somehow had to turn the motor as a generator trying to bike manually.

Sorry but that is not how the motor works on your bike. All Yamaha/Giant motors have a clutch bearing to disengage the electric motor drive and a freewheel ratchet and pawl system to drive the crank shaft. If the motor is off the freewheel disconnects the motors drive system from the crankshaft output, so the motor should not be able to physically slow the bike.

Again, if you remove your chain and rotate your pedals, this is the amount of resistance your motor is providing. It is not that much more than a normal (analogue bike). The main reason that your bike is harder to pedal without assist is that it is heavier than a regular bike. This, coupled with big low pressure tyres, and gearing tailored to an ebike with a motor is not conducive to analogue riding.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles