Giant Reign e+ 2: Brake rub when at moderate an above speed & while turning

Heated

May 18, 2024
new zealand
not sure what my issue is on my Reign E + 2 2024
at anything over approx 20km The front rotor resonates/vibrates & it rubs, When i turn it rubs.
There is heaps of room on each side of the disc and is pretty bang on true, rotor isnt near adapter etc
New Ebike build on a fox 38, parts:
dtswiss 350 hybrid hub(front)
Shimano m8120 XT 4 piston caliper
Shimano 220 rt66 rotor
Galfer Purple ebike pads.
I've also tried galfer 223mm 2mm rotors
It almost feels like the rotor is hitting against the caliper

I've run Mavens w/220mm rotor on this fork/hub and had no issues.

Anyone got any idea whats going on, axle is at torque etc

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
rotor is not straight or its mounting onto the hub not true. It probably oscillates at all speeds but at higher speeds it sets up a resonation you can feel. The fork adaptor may also be at fault ( often the base of the adaptor is not perfectly flat)

Heated

May 18, 2024
new zealand
Think i've figured this out:
Galfer rotor had extra bits on the top of the rotor that was catching the caliper.( quick gentle sand has fixed that)
Shimano rt66 rotors were just flexing around hitting
Can now use the galfer no worries.

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
Just to add, I'm not particularly bothered by brake rubbing, especially as I like to run my brakes with very short lever throws, and I tend to warp my discs quite fast.

However, on the same bike as OP, Giant reign with Zeb, I had code Rs and now maguras, both with galfer purple pads. The noise is unbearable when it rubs. I think the galfer compound cause a screech on even the slightest rub, where most pads would just make a dull easy to ignore sound.

Heated

May 18, 2024
new zealand
Just to add, I'm not particularly bothered by brake rubbing, especially as I like to run my brakes with very short lever throws, and I tend to warp my discs quite fast.

However, on the same bike as OP, Giant reign with Zeb, I had code Rs and now maguras, both with galfer purple pads. The noise is unbearable when it rubs. I think the galfer compound cause a screech on even the slightest rub, where most pads would just make a dull easy to ignore sound.
Wish i could ignore Sounds, They stress me out, Its hard enough ignoring the motor rattle on ebikes!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles