Giant Regin 800w battery problem?

J banning

Apr 7, 2021
Newark, DE, USA
Hello,
I'm trying to determine if I have a battery problem with my Giant Reign E+2 SyncDrive Pro 85nm & 800w battery. Any input you could provide would be much appreciated.

In summary, on a fully charged battery my range and power output is good till roughly 50% charge. After that it drops significantly (more detail below).

Scenario:
Starting with a fully charged battery at 100% (verified in the app), I ride my local mountain bike loop. When I get done the loop my battery is at 60% state of charge (40% consumed). However, if I go back out at 60% charge and do **the exact same loop at the exact same average speed & cadence** I end with only 2% (58% consumption vs the 40% the first time around).

Additionally, this bike does not put out the peak power that I feel it should, feeling less powerful than my old 2019 Trance E+1 with 80nm motor and 500w battery.

For example, there are steep straight line climbs (smooth & steep) that my new Reign either struggles to climb (in the highest power level and lowest gear) or just can't do at all, when my old Trance and all my friends can do on other brand bike (Specialized, Trek, Pivot).

My bike has been this way since I bought it new back in March of this year. Again, this is a 2023 Giant Reign E+2 with SyncDrive Pro 85nm motor and 800w battery.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
Hello,
I'm trying to determine if I have a battery problem with my Giant Reign E+2 SyncDrive Pro 85nm & 800w battery. Any input you could provide would be much appreciated.

In summary, on a fully charged battery my range and power output is good till roughly 50% charge. After that it drops significantly (more detail below).

Scenario:
Starting with a fully charged battery at 100% (verified in the app), I ride my local mountain bike loop. When I get done the loop my battery is at 60% state of charge (40% consumed). However, if I go back out at 60% charge and do **the exact same loop at the exact same average speed & cadence** I end with only 2% (58% consumption vs the 40% the first time around).

Additionally, this bike does not put out the peak power that I feel it should, feeling less powerful than my old 2019 Trance E+1 with 80nm motor and 500w battery.

For example, there are steep straight line climbs (smooth & steep) that my new Reign either struggles to climb (in the highest power level and lowest gear) or just can't do at all, when my old Trance and all my friends can do on other brand bike (Specialized, Trek, Pivot).

My bike has been this way since I bought it new back in March of this year. Again, this is a 2023 Giant Reign E+2 with SyncDrive Pro 85nm motor and 800w battery.

Hi, I went from the 80nm motor in my 21 trance to the 85 and felt the new motor was less powerful, and more noisy, actually a step backwards apart from the size difference. Ended up returning the bike because of it. I do a similar route on a 800 battery ie 40% used per lap. If I don’t recharge after the first lap, ie go out with 60%, I will return with less than 20% for the same lap. It seems the last few bars drain quicker than when it’s full. However this is on a the 21 trance with 80nm not your spec

J banning

Apr 7, 2021
Newark, DE, USA
Hi, I went from the 80nm motor in my 21 trance to the 85 and felt the new motor was less powerful, and more noisy, actually a step backwards apart from the size difference. Ended up returning the bike because of it. I do a similar route on a 800 battery ie 40% used per lap. If I don’t recharge after the first lap, ie go out with 60%, I will return with less than 20% for the same lap. It seems the last few bars drain quicker than when it’s full. However this is on a the 21 trance with 80nm not your spec
Thanks for the reply. I can expect the battery to drain faster as it gets lower, but I feel mine does that excessively. In my example above, my second lap required 45% more battery (1st lap was 100% to 60%, 2nd lap was 60% to 2%).

Additionally, on several occasions I've attempted to do a short trail ride when the battery was at 3 bars and could only go 10 miles or less before it got to 4% or less. This was on power level 2 (all factory defaults), a cadence of 70-80, and low elevation gain. I do need to lose weight though, currently at 220 lbs... but again, these are not aggressive trails and power settings on the bike are low.

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
Seems like a battery issue. Have you done a "bike check" in the app? Also, the LBS should be able to do a more in depth system check?

J banning

Apr 7, 2021
Newark, DE, USA
Seems like a battery issue. Have you done a "bike check" in the app? Also, the LBS should be able to do a more in depth system check?
This is the 3rd time the bike has been back to the shop. They've been very receptive to helping get to the bottom of this, and I'd recoomend the shop to anyone, so I don't want anyone to think otherwise. The two previous times the local shop scanned the bike and went back and forth with Giant with several new files to load to the bike. Unfortunately, I can't really say if this fixed anything power wise, and my battery range issues have never changed since day 1.

Speaking of day 1 -- The day I bought the bike I immediately took it to the trail. It only had 3 bars on the battery, so I knew it would be a short ride... but I only got 3 miles till the battery was at zero. This was on power level 2, with a short climb of maybe 300' vert feet at power 3. It died at the top of that hill and I had to ride 2 3/4 miles down and then back out of the valley on a dead battery. Not fun.

I took the bike back to the local bike shop today and there happened to be a Giant factory rep there. The bike shop and I told him everything that's been going on and he is looking into it personally.

I'll post updates as I get them.

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
They should give or at least loan you a different battery to test or even keep riding a few weeks until giant figure it out. My local shop is small enough, but carries 2-3 different giant batteries to help out customers.

dimitrin

May 7, 2023
Central Texas
I hope they sort out your issue, that doesn'tsound right at all.
I have a '23 reign e+ that I enjoy very much. I will add that from my observations the 5 leds for the battery indicate as such...
5 leds = at least 80%
4 leds = at least 60%
3 leds = at least 40%
2 leds = at least 20
1 led = under 20%
I think my last led may flash red when it gets under 10%. That has only happened once and it was quite a while ago but I'm pretty sure it did.

Acmac999

Dec 26, 2021
Australia
Thi
Hello,

Scenario:

This Is not great but totally normal, second half of the battery has less capacity in all of my rides on the 625wh. The power fade when you are at 1/3 and below is real too. What total range + elevation are you getting?

Madonas

Dec 21, 2020
Delta BC
Read my post on range . If you want range and climbabilty improvement change chane ring to 36 t to 32 tooth. Look at the garmin edge 830 ride today fo for the first 20 minute s the battery % dies not change on a full charge. The next ride on a partially chaged battery does not have this buffer. It will decline a lot faster.
I can get really good range by tuning the e o power levels down really low.

Screenshot_20240723_191600_Connect.jpg

J banning

Apr 7, 2021
Newark, DE, USA
**Update 7/24/24**
My local bike shop called me with an update. They said that after diagnosing the bike and consulting with Giant, they thought my control chip was bad in the bike (deep in the internals as they said to me). They were waiting for a replacement to arrive from Giant.

**Update 7/30/24**
I stopped by my local bike shop to check on the progress and see if the replacement control chip had been installed yet. Unfortunately, they said the chip had been installed and the bike was still dead. Giant felt that there was a more complex problem, possibly with the wiring harness, and since I've had this issue since day one, and now the bike has been in the shop for almost 5 weeks since purchase, they are just going to send me a new replacement Reign E+2. It's coming from California, and I'm on the East Coast, so I may have the bike in my hands by this time next week. I'm very happy that the local shop has done so much to work with me on this, as I'm sure it's very frustrating for them as well.

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
Nice outcome, we all know that brands are sitting on a lot of stock at the moment so a good time to put pressure on them if you have warranty issues.

J banning

Apr 7, 2021
Newark, DE, USA
**Update 8/16/24**
I got my replacement Reign last week and have put two singletrack rides on it so far -- 24 miles and 30 miles. The problems I had with the previous bike are no longer there (poor battery performance and power). The last ride I did was primarily on the 2nd power setting (all factory settings), with a few hills on #3 and one climb on #5. Ride length was 30.5 miles, 2,277' elevation, 10.5 mph avg speed, and I weigh 225 lbs. The battery was fully charged and after the 30.5 miles I had exactly 30% left. My old bike would have been less than 10%. There's one killer straight line climb on this route. The old bike did not put out the power to climb it even though everyone else I know with other brand bikes could. My replacement Reign *CAN* climb it. I'm very happy this is finally resolved, just frustrated and disappointed that it took 6 months since purchase, 3 visits to the local bike shop, and about 6 weeks in total that I was without my bike. I hope this new bike stays problem free, like my 2019 Trance E+ and all my friends Giants.

Thanks for everyone's input and advice.

Fingers crossed.

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
**Update 8/16/24**
I got my replacement Reign last week and have put two singletrack rides on it so far -- 24 miles and 30 miles. The problems I had with the previous bike are no longer there (poor battery performance and power). The last ride I did was primarily on the 2nd power setting (all factory settings), with a few hills on #3 and one climb on #5. Ride length was 30.5 miles, 2,277' elevation, 10.5 mph avg speed, and I weigh 225 lbs. The battery was fully charged and after the 30.5 miles I had exactly 30% left. My old bike would have been less than 10%. There's one killer straight line climb on this route. The old bike did not put out the power to climb it even though everyone else I know with other brand bikes could. My replacement Reign *CAN* climb it. I'm very happy this is finally resolved, just frustrated and disappointed that it took 6 months since purchase, 3 visits to the local bike shop, and about 6 weeks in total that I was without my bike. I hope this new bike stays problem free, like my 2019 Trance E+ and all my friends Giants.

Thanks for everyone's input and advice.

Fingers crossed.
Way to hang in there, great result!

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
Weird incident:

I rode my bike one evening managing 1300m of climbing on my 800Wh battery with 33% left at the end after 2 hours. I know the last bit of battery goes faster than the start, so I planned to only do a short 200m loop the next morning before swapping batteries.

Take the bike out, turn it on 28%. Ride a flat road a few hundred meters 22%. Start climbing look down at my watch, 14%, within a few minutes 3%. Just ridiculous, I got 2km and 130m of vertical out of supposedly 33% battery... Don't think I've had anything like that happen on my old Shimano system.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles