• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Getting a Fuel EXe: Which trim? 9.5, 9.7, or 8 XT?

Jakers

Mar 6, 2024
Virginia USS
I have been mt biking for two decades (majority trail and single track). I rode a Rockhopper 29er for years but then got my first full suspension and ebike last year; the Giant Stance E 1 (2022 model).

I was diagnosed as type one diabetic two years ago and is why I went with the ebike. I was falling behind my friends, having to stop and hold up the group, or just had to bail on big rides as type 1 sucks to put simply.

I’ve gotten myself more comfortable riding as a diabetic and finding I can ride in economy level on my Giant majority of the ride. I want to get back to a normal weight bike and experience analog mtb’ing again. I also am in better shape. The SL bikes seem perfect for me as they add power when I need my heart rate to go down.

I’m not looking for opinions on SL’s vs. full motor as I’m very aware of the power difference. I’ve test rode a couple SL bikes and I am liking the Fuel. My question is, which would you go with, the 9.7, 9.5, or 8 XT?

I’d obviously prefer to stay around that $5.5k price of the 9.5 and the components are almost the same as my Giant. They do what I need for where and how I’m riding. However, would spending the extra grand be so much better experience for the better shocks? And if so, would the 9.7 or 8 XT be better? Both are around $6.5k. I've never ridden carbon FYI.

I will add I could use more from my shocks when doing some serious bombs down rocky technical single tracks. But compared to bikes from back in the day, anything new is an upgrade for me :). THANKS ALL!!!

Edit: after reading more into it, Im looking at the 9.7 carbon vs. 8 XT. It is really should I carbon or aluminum.

Last edited:

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
You might find this thread interesting:

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
I have been mt biking for two decades (majority trail and single track). I rode a Rockhopper 29er for years but then got my first full suspension and ebike last year; the Giant Stance E 1 (2022 model).

I was diagnosed as type one diabetic two years ago and is why I went with the ebike. I was falling behind my friends, having to stop and hold up the group, or just had to bail on big rides as type 1 sucks to put simply.

I’ve gotten myself more comfortable riding as a diabetic and finding I can ride in economy level on my Giant majority of the ride. I want to get back to a normal weight bike and experience analog mtb’ing again. I also am in better shape. The SL bikes seem perfect for me as they add power when I need my heart rate to go down.

I’m not looking for opinions on SL’s vs. full motor as I’m very aware of the power difference. I’ve test rode a couple SL bikes and I am liking the Fuel. My question is, which would you go with, the 9.7, 9.5, or 8 XT?

I’d obviously prefer to stay around that $5.5k price of the 9.5 and the components are almost the same as my Giant. They do what I need for where and how I’m riding. However, would spending the extra grand be so much better experience for the better shocks? And if so, would the 9.7 or 8 XT be better? Both are around $6.5k. I've never ridden carbon FYI.

I will add I could use more from my shocks when doing some serious bombs down rocky technical single tracks. But compared to bikes from back in the day, anything new is an upgrade for me :). THANKS ALL!!!

Edit: after reading more into it, Im looking at the 9.7 carbon vs. 8 XT. It is really should I carbon or aluminum.
I have a fully custom 9.5. It was stripped to the frame and rebuilt. If I didn‘t do a custom build, I’d probably get the 9.7. It has the Fox suspension and carbon frame at a reasonable price.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles