Garmin & Trailforks-Anyone Tried It?

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
I know the new Garmin GPS units have a Trailforks app. I'm very interested in how well this works but can find very little about it, even on YouTube? Anyone using this? Share your experiences, please.

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
I know the new Garmin GPS units have a Trailforks app. I'm very interested in how well this works but can find very little about it, even on YouTube? Anyone using this? Share your experiences, please.

Just looking at the reviews on the IQ Store and it looks like Garmin software developers are showing their usual skill in killing third party apps.

I've had Garmin products for most of this century and I still feel like a beta tester.

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I have the edge 830, I have turned off the fork site feature which is meant to show you when your at a trail head.
Its annoying when it comes on everytime you stop.
Its useful that it highlights known trails as an overlay on the map though.
It can also generate a route using the trails, but I've found it can route you up the trail the wrong way.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I'm very interested in how well this works
Depends what you want to do with it.
find trails that are listed on trailforks? Yeah.. you can do that.
If you want to use trailforks to help you plan a full route taking in certain trails. Do it well before you start riding IMO.

I have the app on my Edge 530 (basically an 830 without the touchscreen). Rarely ever use the trailforks features as I rarely ever ride areas I don't already know where all the trails are.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I’ve got an 820, and have the Trailforks app on it.
Generally when I start my ride, I press the start button on the Garmin to log it. Maybe this has changed recently - but when you’re logging, you can’t access Trailforks.
I swapped from an 810 to an 820 to get the Trailforks feature a few years back when it came out, and TBH, I rarely use it.

As I can’t look at Trailforks when logging, I’m more likely to pull out my phone and look at that if I see a trail I’m not sure about and wonder where it goes! For me, the whole point in Trailforks was to help me discover new trails in the areas I ride.

I have used the Trailforks website a few times to create a ‘route’ of somewhere I’ve never been before, and then upload it (via Trailforks) to the Garmin. That works well, but the Garmin often makes following a route (like a satnav) overly complicated - especially if your route crosses over the same bit more than once. It keeps advising you to do a U-Turn ?

Jdog

Patreon
Jun 4, 2019
Surrey, UK
I bought the cheap (but very good) Garmin edge 130 (not to be confused with the very expensive 1030) and I have used the TrailForks app when exploring new areas and I found it to be just okay, I don't know if that is because I have the 130 which is really quite small and basic or if as mentioned above that Garmin don't seem to like 3rd party development, the iPhone app is pretty good but I found the Garmin app a bit meh.

I'd be keen to hear or watch a review on others who have used it.

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I’ve got an 820, and have the Trailforks app on it.
Generally when I start my ride, I press the start button on the Garmin to log it. Maybe this has changed recently - but when you’re logging, you can’t access Trailforks.
I swapped from an 810 to an 820 to get the Trailforks feature a few years back when it came out, and TBH, I rarely use it.

As I can’t look at Trailforks when logging, I’m more likely to pull out my phone and look at that if I see a trail I’m not sure about and wonder where it goes! For me, the whole point in Trailforks was to help me discover new trails in the areas I ride.

I have used the Trailforks website a few times to create a ‘route’ of somewhere I’ve never been before, and then upload it (via Trailforks) to the Garmin. That works well, but the Garmin often makes following a route (like a satnav) overly complicated - especially if your route crosses over the same bit more than once. It keeps advising you to do a U-Turn ?
You can look at the trailforks maps on the new 530 and 830.
Its baked in, and works along side the Garmin maps

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
As above, the X30 series maps have up to date trail forks mapping d/l to the the unit. (Trailforks data updates when connected to a PC) The unit shows trailforks trails on the map when you're close to them (live) as you ride.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
As above, the X30 series maps have up to date trail forks mapping d/l to the the unit. (Trailforks data updates when connected to a PC) The unit shows trailforks trails on the map when you're close to them (live) as you ride.

I assume there’s no way to update the 820 to do this? Don’t really want to have to upgrade to an X30 series!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
No.

That's exactly what Garmin want you to do.

....and will want you to do again every 24-36 months or so for XN+10

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
No.

That's exactly what Garmin want you to do.

....and will want you to do again every 24-36 months or so for XN+10

Sounds like the X30 is going to do what I expected the 820 to do when I updated to it.
Ok... so now I need to choose whether to stick with a touchscreen and go for an 830, or now that the 530 has the same sized screen, it's a feasible option.

When you cycle near a trail and it appears on your map - can you click on it and find out info about it?
I often cycle past what looks like a trail off the fire track and wonder what it is - so have to stop and get my phone out to check.

I'm sure I'd be able to recoupe £120+ for my 820 on eBay if I upgrade, so it wouldn't be a total loss!!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
If it helps. I chose the 530 because it has buttons.
The buttons/menu system being a lot more intuitive and easy to use than Garmins of old.
Previously had an Edge 800 (for road use only) which had a touchscreen.
I'm not really a faffer who messes about looking at maps on rides though unless i really really have to.
By the sounds of it you are so you'll definitely want the touch screen.

Sounds like the X30 is going to do what I expected the 820 to do when I updated to it.
Depends what you're expecting really. it still doesn't have the full trailforks phone app. Just trailforks overlays/info integrated with the Garmin system.

When you cycle near a trail and it appears on your map - can you click on it and find out info about it?
Yes. Basic info. Not the write-ups you'd find on Trail forks App/website
I never ever do this while riding. (see my faff disclaimer above) and absolutely never pull my phone out on a ride for navigational reasons. My phone doesn't even have a working gps. (it broke. I don't care)

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
If it helps. I chose the 530 because it has buttons.
The buttons/menu system being a lot more intuitive and easy to use than Garmins of old.
Previously had an Edge 800 (for road use only) which had a touchscreen.
I'm not really a faffer who messes about looking at maps on rides though unless i really really have to.
By the sounds of it you are so you'll definitely want the touch screen

You're half right! I am a faffer and love gadgets... but when I'm out on my bike, I don't like to stop. I barely stop to drink - that's what fire tracks are for! I do like to see numbers and stats though - hence why I've had a Garmin on my bars for the last 8 years.
Having had the 810 and 820 with touch screen, I’m probably better sticking with the 830 as I imagine 90% of it will work the same.

I want to be able to carry on past the trail opening, and see what it is by either looking at the screen or touching a button... without the need to stop and take my phone out and check.
Sounds like a 530 / 830 will allow me to do that.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
it'll show you the trail's name on the screen if that's what you mean. anything else more useful and you might as well still stop and get your phone out.
I'd def try one before buying if I were in your position.

I'd have thought your 820 could pick up strava segments while riding?
If you star a segment in strava the X30s will load them in and the device alerts you to the segment start as you get close while riding. (optional in settings)
dunno if this is also a thing with the X20s?

I too thought the trailforks integration might actually be useful. It's really not. not for me anyway. But I've never really used trailforks. pretty much everything I ride is from the knowledge I have from exploring trails myself, a little local word of mouth and info from friends/riding buddies.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
it'll show you the trail's name on the screen if that's what you mean. anything else more useful and you might as well still stop and get your phone out.
I'd def try one before buying if I were in your position.

I'd have thought your 820 could pick up strava segments while riding?
If you star a segment in strava the X30s will load them in and the device alerts you to the segment start as you get close while riding. (optional in settings)
dunno if this is also a thing with the X20s?

I too thought the trailforks integration might actually be useful. It's really not. not for me anyway. But I've never really used trailforks. pretty much everything I ride is from the knowledge I have from exploring trails myself, a little local word of mouth and info from friends/riding buddies.

I guess once you see the trail on the map, you can zoom out a bit and see where it leads (or starts)?

Most of my rides are solo,... as having 2 young kids means I go when I can - not at designated times, and usually very short notice. Most of my mates need a time / venue "booked" a few days in advance!

I've found a load of new trails since getting a Garmin, and downloading other people's routes into it. I've also spoken to folk out on the trails who I've either ridden with or who have pointed me at other trails I haven't seen before. At some of the odd times I'm out at, I can often spend 2 hours riding and not see another cyclist.

Now I have a battery, I might be more prepared to go down a trail that I don't know where it leads and do some exploring. I've been caught out a few times getting to the bottom and having to push all the way back up when I realised there's nowhere to go!!

I've never used Strava before - but it's something I'll take a look at.
I'll have a shop around and see if anyone can do an 830 with a 30 day moneyback guarantee - as I don't know anyone with one that I could test.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I just had a play about with the pan/zoom on mine. and attempted to look at trails/names etc.
wow! all I can say now is thank fuck I don't use the thing for that. Defo stick with a touchscreen for your use.
I might be more prepared to go down a trail that I don't know where it leads and do some exploring. I've been caught out a few times getting to the bottom and having to push all the way back up when I realised there's nowhere to go!!

Been doing that pretty much all my life.
how else do you think I don't need maps? ;)

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
As far as I can see, Garmin sell 2 different versions... the normal 830, and the 830 "mountain bike bundle".
For a start I thought the mountain bike bundle was just some different adaptors and a pointless handlebar remote.
Some digging and it turns out the monutain bike bundle comes with the Trailforks data loaded into the map and Forksight feature ( where it shows you the trail options when you pause at a trail). It doesn't have the normal app on it, but you can load it on and sign in to upload trails etc - like I can with the 820.
The normal 830 does not include this.

I can't find info on whether you can make the normal 830 have the extra Trailforks stuff, or if it will essentially just have the same as my 820. I don't need any of the mountain bike 'bundle' stuff - just the mountain bike version of the 830. I'd rather not pay for all the extra stuff if I don't have to.

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
As far as I can see, Garmin sell 2 different versions... the normal 830, and the 830 "mountain bike bundle".
For a start I thought the mountain bike bundle was just some different adaptors and a pointless handlebar remote.
Some digging and it turns out the monutain bike bundle comes with the Trailforks data loaded into the map and Forksight feature ( where it shows you the trail options when you pause at a trail). It doesn't have the normal app on it, but you can load it on and sign in to upload trails etc - like I can with the 820.
The normal 830 does not include this.

I can't find info on whether you can make the normal 830 have the extra Trailforks stuff, or if it will essentially just have the same as my 820. I don't need any of the mountain bike 'bundle' stuff - just the mountain bike version of the 830. I'd rather not pay for all the extra stuff if I don't have to.
The Mountain bike version is exactly the same as the normal version, trust me, they both have the baked in trail forks maps.
This is definitely the case in the uk, I know because I bought the non Mountain bike version ?

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
The Mountain bike version is exactly the same as the normal version, trust me, they both have the baked in trail forks maps.
This is definitely the case in the uk, I know because I bought the non Mountain bike version ?
Thanks! I don't really want to spend an extra £50+ on some bits I don't really need.
I read a review yesterday that said non mountain bike version didn't come with them. Maybe that was from another country... or maybe that was the case in the earlier models?

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I'm with Gary to a large extent Trailforks on the Garmin isn't great from my experience, I've only done a few rides with my 530, maybe I'll get better, there must be a better way to plan/map rides.
It's only the 830 model that you can create routes and destinations on the unit.
With the 530 you can create a Garmin based route on your phone and send to device, but this does not use trailforks data.
To use trailforks maps you would have to create the route in trailforks on your computer, then on the trailforks app on your Garmin you can open it and use it.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
It's only the 830 model that you can create routes and destinations on the unit.
With the 530 you can create a Garmin based route on your phone and send to device, but this does not use trailforks data.
To use trailforks maps you would have to create the route in trailforks on your computer, then on the trailforks app on your Garmin you can open it and use it.

I've ordered an 830, and it should be here tomorrow.

I would go online to Trailforks on my Mac, and click round various trails to make a route - then save it to my Trailforks account. I could then access it from my Garmin 820, and follow the route on screen.

I'm hoping the updated Trailforks on the 830 allows me to discover more new trails when I'm out and about... and also helps me distinguish which way to go when I get to the top and am presented with multiple options!

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I've ordered an 830, and it should be here tomorrow.

I would go online to Trailforks on my Mac, and click round various trails to make a route - then save it to my Trailforks account. I could then access it from my Garmin 820, and follow the route on screen.

I'm hoping the updated Trailforks on the 830 allows me to discover more new trails when I'm out and about... and also helps me distinguish which way to go when I get to the top and am presented with multiple options!
It sort of will.
You can ask it to create a Mountain bike ride while your out and about and it will include as many trails from trailforks as it can in that area.
It will create 3 routes and you can choose which you want to follow.
Only problem is, that if there are not enough trails in the area it will fail and the other is it doesn't know the direction the trails run in, so can route you the wrong way up some.

Apr 25, 2019
Perth Western Australia
I didn't even try to create one on the device, it was hard enough getting it to do what I wanted on the full laptop screen. What I was hoping was that I would quickly be able to sort out where I was and not have to pull my phone out to navigate, I haven't found it to be nearly as useful for that as I hoped, you can get there but my phone is much faster.

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
Sounds like a pain in the butt. I was thinking it would be nice when riding a network of trails that I'm unfamiliar with, creating a route of the trails I wanted to ride and using Garmin to follow, but it sounds like the experience is underwhelming. IMHO, even using trailforks on the phone often shows position as being way off the map. Not sure if this a problem with the data in Trailforks or with the GPS ability to locate while in the woods, but it's probably both. In another generation I imagine they'll have all this worked out.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Anyone want to buy my Edge 530?

The unit has had 3 months use and a screen protector and silicone case fitted since new.
Boxed with full warranty.

PM me for details

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles