Garmin Edge 530 Experience

Oct 3, 2020
UK
Folks,

Has anyone on the forum been using a Edge 530 at all? I'm looking to get a bit more adventurous, maybe not going to a trail centre for once :) .... The thing I like about trail centres tho are arrows and directions, I'm a bit OCD on knowing where I'm going. So my thoughts are to make use of kamoot or trailforks on that device to find different routes and trails that are not my usual haunts. Tracking my stats is of no interest to me, I just want to drive / ride to a place and follow a route and be happy.

Have folks out there used kamoot and trail forks with an edge, is it easy to find new adventures, easy to stay on track, that type of thing? Any stories good or bad welcomed.

Marksou

Dec 24, 2021
Llanbedrog
I have a 530 and I use it a lot. I find Komoot is more useful than Trailforks, mainly because I can buy sections of UK OS maps which I find easier when planning routes (old skool!). The stats are what just happens when I ride with the Garmin on, not getting lost in unfamiliar locations is the important thing :cool:

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
If I am going to a new area I search out rides on Trailforks and then download the .gpx to Komoot then just run the .gpx on my phone with a set of blutooth mini earphones or buds. The audio gives instructions which I prefer to trying to look at a screen whilst I am riding........it also means I do not need to spend££££££ for a device to do what my phone can do for free. The phone does permanelty display the map so do not use use much battery.........but if there is some confusion or you get lost the map is there when you wake the phone up. Its shows you the correct route and the incorrect route you took to go wrong so easy to back track and get back on the planned route. The only cost is buting a map for the area you will be riding. I paid a one off fee to buy ALL maps ( c£40) worldwide!! So works just as well in southern Europe as in the UK.

Oct 3, 2020
UK
That's interesting, cause I was pondering over hitting a tree as I'm to focused on a map in front of me rather then paying attention :) But it's a good point RE the phone, you have a GPS in your pocket at all times, the only reason I was thinking a device would be better is that I used to have a KIOX that paired with my phone and in a few trail centres in wales and up north the app never could grasp where I was, I wonder if it was more to do with the BOSCH app's quality or maybe my phone's not that great, but it never tracked me well at all. But attempting a ride with the kamoot app and phone rather then splurging on a device straight up is a good idea, one that I didn't really consider.

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
I’ve had a few garmin devices over the years
98CBE2A1-B5DA-47FF-A08B-98A5C8856396.jpeg

And used them on aeronautical and water sailing and on the streets and roads.
I would not recomed them as a route only source for biking, it will help, but it may as well foul and disturb if you have many different trails close to each other, even worse on tree covered areas.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles