Fuel EXe Fuel exe warranty motor slower assist

Chris83

Oct 20, 2023
Syracuse ny
Hello everyone this is my first post. I bought the exe October 22 the motor has sounded fine with enough power it ran great up until September 23 had to bring bike to the shop to warranty out the motor due to grinding noises in motor and the display would not turn on. I called trek warranty about it he said sending a v2 display with an updated motor which fixed this know motor issue. I got the bike back after three weeks and first thing I noticed in the shop parking lot was how quiet the motor is, meaning the typical noise they make was gone no noise. The problem is it feels like it has less power assist, so I took it on my trails and I can tell there is less power in each mode. So before motor change I ride in eco and middle mode leaving the default power settings in app. Boost full power for hills, no issues with power. After motor, each mode feels sluggish with not much power I have to now ride most of the time on boost to get some kind of assist and it’s a struggle up hills. I called trek warranty and the guy had no clue, I asked what the upgraded motor was he couldn’t tell me anything, all he said was try reseting the bike and playing around with the sliders in app. He was clueless. Sorry for long post anyone have any ideas. Should I bring it back to the shop? I hate going there due to they are slow and never call me on updates and when bike is ready.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
how much have you ridden it since the motor was swapped?

The cranks need to be attached to the motor in a specific position , if they are not attached in the specific position then the motor needs to perform a calibration process which takes a few hundred meters of riding to complete. While it is calibrating the motor feels like it has no power. you dont need to tell it to calibrate, it detects automatically that the cranks are out of position and calibrates .

The calibration process only takes a few hundred meters though, so if you've done a few miles already it wont be this.

It also might be worth checking in the app that the sliders are all in the right place.

Chris83

Oct 20, 2023
Syracuse ny
I rode yesterday 11 Miles and the sliders are the same as i always have them eco and middle default with boost sliders at max. I’m going to ride again today for 45mins to an hour. The motor is also very quiet now I can’t hear any noise even on boost. The power cadence in the app said I did more power then the motor put out and I was struggling at the down hill park no lifts so had to climb up I usually can do it in the 2nd mode but this time had to use boost and was still struggling . idk

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I rode yesterday 11 Miles and the sliders are the same as i always have them eco and middle default with boost sliders at max. I’m going to ride again today for 45mins to an hour. The motor is also very quiet now I can’t hear any noise even on boost. The power cadence in the app said I did more power then the motor put out and I was struggling at the down hill park no lifts so had to climb up I usually can do it in the 2nd mode but this time had to use boost and was still struggling . idk
Sounds like the new motor is broken

Chris83

Oct 20, 2023
Syracuse ny
Trek has decided after all the problems I’ve had they are sending me a new exe 9.7 I chose this time pennyflake copper I wanted yellow but not making no more. They will swap all the upgrades over. Hopefully I won’t have problems now

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles