Frozen sealant?

Rl3651

Dec 13, 2021
Merrimack, New Hampshire
Does anyone know at what temperature does sealant freeze? Took my 21 levo out for a ride after sitting in below freezing garage for 2 weeks. Bike felt unbalanced and maybe wobbly. Parked the bike right away and am trying to find the cause.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
I think it’s because the fork and shock oils were just too stiff.

Sure, the seals might have dried out after a long period of inactivity. Careful pumping of the suspension will help.

eMullet

Mar 28, 2021
Planet Earth
Generally sealants wont freeze unless the tempreture is more than -20 degrees C. What sealant are you using?

Also, suspension gets softer and rebound damping gets slower in cold weather due to air pressure drop and oil thickening.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
You can easily tell which it is wheels or suspension.
Lift one end of the bike off the ground and spin a wheel. If it is wobbling all over the place, or if you can feel a up and down surging, then the sealant has settled in one place. This settling happens every single time the bike is parked up, but the cold weather may have slowed down its normal redistribution once you got riding.

The oil in the suspension will get more viscous as the temperature drops, but the heat generated by you riding the bike will cure that to the point where it should not stop you riding. There are loads of Forum members who hail from countries with very cold winters and it doesn't stop them riding.

Rl3651

Dec 13, 2021
Merrimack, New Hampshire
Actually, I'm an idiot. I tightened the head cap thingy too tight and also put a maxle on a fox fork. Bike felt really weird and loopy but all good now. Thanks for all the advice, helps a lot with us newbies.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles