From Trek to Specialized regrets

boomy96

Jun 3, 2023
Australia
Hi all
I just spent the last two years on a Trek Rail 5 and absolutely loved it. But about 6 months ago I took advantage of the sales and bought a Turbo Levo comp alloy.

It has some great qualities but I really dont like the Brose motor compared to the Bosch. My steep technical climbing skills have actually declined because the Brose doesn't have the same low down punch and overdrive like the Bosch. Also the motor hangs down so low I'm always smashing it on rocks, logs etc.

Does anyone else find this?
Can you tune the Brose to be more like the Bosch?

Ebikeliam

Dec 30, 2023
Goring
Interesting you mention this. I am currently deciding between a Comp Alloy and a Rail 9.8. I think I marginally prefer the looks of the Specialized and the suspension, but I do have my doubts about the Brose motor which you seem to confirm. I have ridden the Bosch motor off road and it is excellent, but only tried the Brose around the car park.

Apart from the motors, how do you find the two bikes compare?

boomy96

Jun 3, 2023
Australia
If I had my time again I would definitely stick with the Trek. I personally dont like the mullet wheel. The Bosch 625w battery lasted just as long or longer than the Specialized 700w battery. The turbo mode on the Spesh is fine for flats and hills but it just doesn't have the same punch to climb up rock steps etc.
Interesting you mention this. I am currently deciding between a Comp Alloy and a Rail 9.8. I think I marginally prefer the looks of the Specialized and the suspension, but I do have my doubts about the Brose motor which you seem to confirm. I have ridden the Bosch motor off road and it is excellent, but only tried the Brose around the car park.

Apart from the motors, how do you find the two bikes compare?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Hi all
I just spent the last two years on a Trek Rail 5 and absolutely loved it. But about 6 months ago I took advantage of the sales and bought a Turbo Levo comp alloy.

It has some great qualities but I really dont like the Brose motor compared to the Bosch. My steep technical climbing skills have actually declined because the Brose doesn't have the same low down punch and overdrive like the Bosch. Also the motor hangs down so low I'm always smashing it on rocks, logs etc.

Have you tried increasing acceleration response in Mission Control ? Should make it a bit punchier.

Barnicles

Aug 8, 2020
Uk
I've also gone from the Rail to Levo and prefer the Brose motor (minus the reliabilty). The Bosch motor is great and I'd happily own another but I find the tuneability of the Brose and getting it to feel a bit more natural to suit me better. It also still seems to be just as powerful in turbo.

boomy96

Jun 3, 2023
Australia
Specialized app and tuneability is definitely top notch BUT i actually prefer a more basic system. I like being able to just press the on button and ride in one mode ( eMTB mode on Trek) which I use for casual riding to competion racing. Whereas with the Specialized you need to turn on Bluetooth, open the Spesh app, tune/check your ride settings and often switch between modes while riding. That's just my preference.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
Hi all

High Rock Ruti

Have both, love both......however. I've never had a Bosch failure, Brose NINE motors across three Bikes, just about time for 10th motor.
Don't have the reservations about the power. Brose has more total power, the Bosch has more torque at lower cadences, making getting on and over "features" sometimes easier, when I clear the obstacle, it's a feature when I don't it's a big F-ing Rock.
When I'm riding well I don't notice the motor, but the technique, don't you love mountain biking?

Warm Regards Ruti

boomy96

Jun 3, 2023
Australia
Well said Ruti.
On the Bosch you can slowly climb over/up technical obstacles. With the Brose you have to charge over it or your left dealing with a 25kg lump of alloy in a bad spot.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles