from Levo to Rise?

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
I have.

I like both...but the Orbea is more easy to throw around, jumping by itself, much more alive, I need to be more involving.
Levo has more grunt down low, and I kinda got used to it....so I have to speed up my cadance, which I actually like.

I can see on my garmin, that I have to work harder, which was kinda the idea.
On a 1 hours ride I'm 1-2 minutes slower.

The 12 speed driveline has surprised me positively.
It must be the lower torque, that makes it work so good.

I'd say the Rise has a higher fun factor for me....but I still like the Levo....it's just something else.

No regrets, when you have spend some time on the new bike, and learned to ride it effectivly.

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
I think the main downside of the Rise vs Levo is the range. Some can't live with range being shorter. You can always get the extender and get similar range as an option though.

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
Range depends a lot of your settings, but it's compareable with Levo 500wh and with Rise range extender it's like the Levo 700wh.
But it really depends on your settings - I can drain the battery in 10km and get it to last +100km

javifoto70

Nov 7, 2021
Barcelona, Spain
Agree it all depends on setting but I can tell you after 4 years with a Turbo Levo FSR 2017 460W now with my Rise M10 at the same rithm and similar settings I get much more range. I used to get no more than 1500 to 1700m and 50-70kms on the Levo. With the Rise I get 2000m and 70-90kms.
Important to notice I faver singletracks and uphill tough and steep trails.
I tend to use mainly ECO uphill up to 6%-7% and TRAIL from 8% to 12% and I only use BOOST on rarely on very steep short parts.
My settings are:
ECO level 1, 20Nm, quick response 3
TRAIL nivel 3, 33Nm, quick response 3
BOOST nivel 5, 51Nm, quick response 3

As aarfeldt pointed the Rise is much more fun to ride, much more lively, it easily jumps and turns, you can descend faster and more secure thanks to its reponsiveness and it is easier to stop and bend. It rolls much much easier and faster, many times you can accelerate only getting up on the pedals instead as on a muscular bike instead of adding more assistance. On flat or semi flat you can turn off assistance.
Is a bike you feel like a bike and makes de Turbo Levo feel more like a heavy device and not as much a bicycle. Obviously the Rise is more suited for bikes that like to pedal, to enjoy and sweat like on a muscular bike but with much more fun and less suffering or no suffering at all if you just add more assistance.

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
well I put down money on a Rise and I pick it up Thurs. I ended up with the M20 as there are no M10 to be found with size large. I figure the brakes will be fine, but I might want to swap the fork and shock. I can always pick up a slightly used Fox 36 as alot of people are going to the 38 on Levos so no concerns there.

Micael

Feb 11, 2021
Portugal
Don't own a Levo, but have ridden one for a few hours in trails I know well, and have also tried an Orbea Rise (which I also don't own), and got to say far prefer the Rise, it is just a much more lively responsive bike, feel like the difference is especially significant in tight corners or switchbacks, the Levo feels a lot more like my Orbea wild FS.

Honestly won't even consider the battery as a significant factor between the 2, because the Levo from my experience is just a battery hog (in comparison to my Orbea Wild FS anyway), while the Orbea Rise is pretty respectable especially with the battery extender, which still puts it at quite a bit lower weight than a Levo, the Orbea Rise I rode weighted at 20.20kg with the pedals on, maxxis DHR 2 DH 2.4 back, Assegai 2.5 DH front, crush core at the front, and one of those new Float X shocks, and a Fox Grip 2 36 150mm, so a full send it Orbea Rise, not a weight weenie one.

Lawsoc

Apr 27, 2021
U.K
who here has gone from a full fat Levo to a rise? Comments? Any regrets?
Hi I have come from Levo SL then Levo Expert to Rise absolutely NO regrets. I thought I would be keeping my Levo for longer rides. Got my Rise in July and never ridden Levo since - you’ll not regret it. Rise is nimble, agile and more rewarding and love being back to a lightweight bike again.

Borut

Mar 21, 2021
Slovenia
I come from rise m10(2700km), to levo sl expert 2020, Why, cause ORBEA shimano ep8 starts to click when hard pedaling uphill, shimano plays dumm and they say its ok....i change for levo sl, and range is amazing CAUSE u can turn off the motor and u turn on when u need. With rise resistance is so much noticable, while levo sl almost total no resistance. Levo sl has 2500km now and no issues at all.
Orbea had it few...so...every time i choose sl, cause of warranty is easy to claim.
Orbea is sexy and eas to handle, but warranty sux big time and many problems.

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
usually the clicks when you pedal means some of the screws between motor and frame just need to be tightened a bit.

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
Not had a problem with my Rise over 700kms. No clicking and its been through some horrendous conditions.

Resistance is pretty much non-existent as I transition from assisted to unassisted riding so there certainly sounds like there is a problem with yours. Range is as good as my regular Merida eMTB even with a much smaller battery.

Borut

Mar 21, 2021
Slovenia
When u try resistance on levo sl or shimano ep8....its like night and day. I agree is much better ep8 resistance when off compared to bosch or yamaha or old e8000, but mahle motor is far from others regarding resistance in off...

Flatsix66

Oct 29, 2021
South Main Divide
I have found that my same ride (1600ft climb and 14mi) with the Levo 700wh battery leaves about 35% remaining, while the Rise is about the same stock but takes more rider effort. SInce buying the Rise I never rode the Levo again, sold it yesterday.

faberle

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2021
France Haute Savoie
I got a Levo 2017 as my first e-bike four years ago (made it a 29' and 12 speed) and I bought a Rise M10 early this year. I ride and love both bikes. My Levo hasn't aged and still gives me a lot of fun. BUT the Rise is more nimble and its power fits my riding style a lot better. I also prefer the riding position for climbing, more upward... maybe a little less comfy on long flat rides but who does that with an eMTB ? What I like the most with the Rise is that I never worry about battery level and range, because 1) it has plenty off it and 2) should I exhaust the battery, the bike is no problem to ride without assist, even going up. It means fun of an ebike, freedom of a non-Ebike. I ride my Rise 80% of the time now.

Moots YBB

Dec 18, 2018
Brussels
who here has gone from a full fat Levo to a rise? Comments? Any regrets?
just did, absolutely no regrets at all, i'm keeping the Levo, but i think i will not be using it anymore, it's just in case i want to go ride with someone who doesn't own a EMTB (that is everybody i know :)
Its a Medium, LTD, quand piston XTR brakes, Fox36 17.03 kilos with pedals and just over 2 kilos for those tires. i usualy run Vittoria Barzo's in the Spring, a gain of 700 grams
OrbeaRIse.jpg

Moots YBB

Dec 18, 2018
Brussels
oh and, not that i did this, officialy, but, you can derestrict it, not just the speed, but the max torque can be restored to 85nm, without affecting any of the changes Orbea Made (you still have to make an effort, spin the cranks quickly, but you get all the power from the motor. "or so i heard", i was also told it's relatively easy to do if you own a mac or pc + a iOS device.

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
oh and, not that i did this, officialy, but, you can derestrict it, not just the speed, but the max torque can be restored to 85nm, without affecting any of the changes Orbea Made (you still have to make an effort, spin the cranks quickly, but you get all the power from the motor. "or so i heard", i was also told it's relatively easy to do if you own a mac or pc + a iOS device.
Yep you can do it although I wouldn't recommend it if you want the battery to last longest possible time.

Moots YBB

Dec 18, 2018
Brussels
Yep you can do it although I wouldn't recommend it if you want the battery to last longest possible time.

the modification only alters battery life if you chose to use more than 63nm, it's still the same bike, same battery life at the same settings.

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
the modification only alters battery life if you chose to use more than 63nm, it's still the same bike, same battery life at the same settings.
Lol yes but why would you go through the trouble to modify the setting if you don't use it? Using 85 nm isn't recommended with this battery if you want the battery health to remain optimal, that's all I'm saying. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Naturally it's going to drain the battery faster with more power that goes without saying :)

Moots YBB

Dec 18, 2018
Brussels
Lol yes but why would you go through the trouble to modify the setting if you don't use it? Using 85 nm isn't recommended with this battery if you want the battery health to remain optimal, that's all I'm saying. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Naturally it's going to drain the battery faster with more power that goes without saying :)
yes of course, but i will use profile 2 only for my relatively short workday rides, and switch to profile one and two extenders when i want to go over 100 km the week ends, i have not tried that yet, my bike still, has the “new bike” smell :)

Jumbleross

Aug 26, 2020
UK
A slightly different topic on durability, I'm 15 stone and have a full fat Trek Rail XL which is a great point and shoot bike but just too heavy for my style of riding, I like to pop off rocks and flick it around a bit plus I ride in eco most of the time to keep fit and not have range anxiety. I have already damaged a frame under warranty. I'm thinking the superlight ebike such as the Rise could be the solution as it's lighter so in theory would put less stress on the frame and have less of a "void" in the downtube which would make the frame stronger, what does everyone think? Also looking at Kenevo SL or maybe new Levo SL when it comes out. All my other ebike buddies ride in ECO to keep fit so maybe we should all get superlight ebikes or just ride our normal trail bikes again and save some dosh!

Moots YBB

Dec 18, 2018
Brussels
15 stone, when you say that it sounds like lord of the rings to me, i'm not even going to bother converting that sorry, but i guess you mean you are heavy ? did you damage the frame by hiting something ? was it carbon ? should not happen, whatever the type of bike. i would chose a bike that suits your riding style, so maybe a Kenevo ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles