Focus Jam2 6.8 Mullet

Sijmes

Sep 22, 2018
Netherlands
I've gone Mullet and now the bike is just a little slower than it was. 3 shops have already told me that its not possible to change the wheel size via the dealer Bosch Software. I cant keep up with my mates Cube anymore, cant have that now, can we !

ChillyWilly

Feb 4, 2021
Netherlands
I've gone Mullet and now the bike is just a little slower than it was. 3 shops have already told me that its not possible to change the wheel size via the dealer Bosch Software. I cant keep up with my mates Cube anymore, cant have that now, can we !

Just gone mullet myself and loving it. Went with a DT Swiss H 1900 27.5 spline 35mm wheel and Big Betty 2.8 Super Trail. Tyre was 1380 grams ?.

I did ask the shop and he said it was possible. Also see this video about the procedure.

Sijmes

Sep 22, 2018
Netherlands
Just gone mullet myself and loving it. Went with a DT Swiss H 1900 27.5 spline 35mm wheel and Big Betty 2.8 Super Trail. Tyre was 1380 grams ?.

I did ask the shop and he said it was possible. Also see this video about the procedure.
Would you believe that I bought exactly the same wheel, logical choice really. I have a WTB Vigilante on the rear, loadsa knobs, although 2.5 from another bike. What's the clearance like on a 2.8 ?

IMG_20210224_101041.jpg

Last edited:

Sijmes

Sep 22, 2018
Netherlands
Clearance is great, although it's a Sam2 and high position ;-)

View attachment 55565
Your bike looks fabulous ?? What's the travel on those Zebs ? I have mine at 180 and I feel it's too much, seeing as the mullet shortened my chainstays too on the lowest position. It loops out quicker on slow techy climbs. I'm looking at shortening the trave to 160 mm. Also on steep climbs I keep turning off the power button with my belly. I may have to relocate the kiox too. ?

Another rider

Sep 27, 2020
Dorset
I've been thinking of trying a 27.5 rear wheel on my Jam2 for a while. With the flip chip, when you change to the lower position does that mean you need to change the position of the brake calliper too (with a different adapter)? I can't quite visualise how the rotor will sit with respect to the calliper.
Obviously with the smaller rear wheel the overall gearing will change slightly and I have been thinking I might go for a slightly bigger chainring when I do it. In theory going from a 34 tooth ring to a 36 tooth will leave the overall gearing almost the same.

Sijmes

Sep 22, 2018
Netherlands
My bike came with the extra adapter for the alternative axle position. You will need to shorten the chain by a couple of links. It will slow you top speed a little. 36 teeth on the front sounds very big to me.

Another rider

Sep 27, 2020
Dorset
Interesting. Mine didn't come with the extra adapter. I'll have to see if I can get one.

The standard chainring on mine is 34 teeth so 36 is only marginally bigger.

Sijmes

Sep 22, 2018
Netherlands
I dont think they slightly smaller back wheel warrants a bigger chain wheel. I would definitely wait and see how it rides.

Another rider

Sep 27, 2020
Dorset
I've contacted Focus and apparently it should have come with the "low" adapter but I can only get one through the dealer. I'm waiting for them to come back to me. I'm holding off buying a wheel until I know I can get the adapter.

Another rider

Sep 27, 2020
Dorset
It would appear that the bracket is a Focus specific part. At least there is a Focus part number for it. I had wondered if they had designed it to use a standard bracket in the low position and a special Focus bracket in the high position. But sadly if seems they are both specific to the Focus frames. For now I'm sticking with the plan of going with a 27.5 wheel in the low position and will just have to wait until I can get the missing bracket. Looking around it also seems I'd be struggling to buy a wheel right now, there's very little available.

Shy Ted

Aug 20, 2019
Inbed
Sorry about that, I may have misled you on the Shimano part; I just checked mine and the smaller one is in fact just a mini version of the one that’s on for the 29” wheel. I did a search about the ‘net and there’s hundreds of different ones out there but couldn’t see one that matches the Focus bracket. Good luck in getting things sorted.

Sijmes

Sep 22, 2018
Netherlands
It would appear that the bracket is a Focus specific part. At least there is a Focus part number for it. I had wondered if they had designed it to use a standard bracket in the low position and a special Focus bracket in the high position. But sadly if seems they are both specific to the Focus frames. For now I'm sticking with the plan of going with a 27.5 wheel in the low position and will just have to wait until I can get the missing bracket. Looking around it also seems I'd be struggling to buy a wheel right now, there's very little available.
Have you ever ordered stuff from Germany ? I'm in the Netherlands and have ordered stuff from the UK in the past, no problem.

Another rider

Sep 27, 2020
Dorset
In the end I found the details on the Focus website. There are diagrams with lists of Focus-specific part numbers for every bike. Unfortunately they are low resolution images but you can just about make out the part numbers. I hadn't realised it was all there - and it could be really useful in the future if you want to identify any parts you might need. The dealers I presume also have this information.

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
A cheaper option would be an angle set if slackening the head angle is your aim.

Lee c

Jan 31, 2022
Uk
A cheaper option would be an angle set if slackening the head angle is your aim.

Thanks mate I was mainly changing it to make the bike feel more nimble, I’ve gone ahead and changed it and now think it’s great 😊

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles