First Service... More Power

8bit Barry

Jan 10, 2024
Devon
I got my bike back from my first free service (Cube Stereo 160 Actionteam) and it feels so much better. The whole bike now freewheels much easier and there feels a lot less resistance when rolling downhill. I feel I can pedal a lot more effectively when the battery tails off with the speed hitting +16mph.

The other weird thing is that the shop told me the bike has been 'updated'. Does that mean its something I couldn't do with the Bosch App?

The main thing I have I seem to notice is that I still have some power at 20+ mph. The Kiox power index is still showing assistance, but not much.

Has something happened to the engine tuning with an new update? I am also getting longer battery life, but I think that could warmer summer temperatures...

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
I got my bike back from my first free service (Cube Stereo 160 Actionteam) and it feels so much better. The whole bike now freewheels much easier and there feels a lot less resistance when rolling downhill. I feel I can pedal a lot more effectively when the battery tails off with the speed hitting +16mph.

The other weird thing is that the shop told me the bike has been 'updated'. Does that mean its something I couldn't do with the Bosch App?

The main thing I have I seem to notice is that I still have some power at 20+ mph. The Kiox power index is still showing assistance, but not much.

Has something happened to the engine tuning with an new update? I am also getting longer battery life, but I think that could warmer summer temperatures...
Are you in the UK/Europe? We're limited to 15.5mph assist so anything above that is a bonus!

8bit Barry

Jan 10, 2024
Devon
Yes. That's why manufacturers are continually updating software.
That’s not what I mean. Do the retailers, repair shops update bikes with software that I cannot update? In other words are the Bosch updates that I install using my iPhone different from the ones that a shop will install?

8bit Barry

Jan 10, 2024
Devon
Are you in the UK/Europe? We're limited to 15.5mph assist so anything above that is a bonus!
Yes, I am in Devon. I noticed that the bike is still receiving 50/60% power at around 16-17 miles an hour. If I am peddling hard at 20 miles an hour, there is still a level of assistance of around 10 to 15%

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
Yes, I am in Devon. I noticed that the bike is still receiving 50/60% power at around 16-17 miles an hour. If I am peddling hard at 20 miles an hour, there is still a level of assistance of around 10 to 15%

Yes, the dealer software has more options than the phone software but one thing they can't do is change your assistance past the 15.5mph cut off.
Are you sure it's not just registering your power at 20mph?

The dealer software is region locked, so cannot set your bike as being in the US and give you the higher limit cut off.

8bit Barry

Jan 10, 2024
Devon
Yes, the dealer software has more options than the phone software but one thing they can't do is change your assistance past the 15.5mph cut off.
Are you sure it's not just registering your power at 20mph?

The dealer software is region locked, so cannot set your bike as being in the US and give you the higher limit cut off.
Ok that makes sense - thanks. Its my first eMTB, so this is all new to me. I thought the whole point of the app / bike updates was that I didn't need to take it to a dealer to get the software upgrade?

When I am riding the power index line on my Kiox is still acting as though it is supporting me even when I am pedalling at over 20mph. So you think its show my leg power?

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
Ok that makes sense - thanks. Its my first eMTB, so this is all new to me. I thought the whole point of the app / bike updates was that I didn't need to take it to a dealer to get the software upgrade?

When I am riding the power index line on my Kiox is still acting as though it is supporting me even when I am pedalling at over 20mph. So you think its show my leg power?
Yes the power index shows both inputs, rider and motor. If you're only seeing one colour that will be your input.

You generally don't need to take it to a dealer for updates but there are a couple of things they might need to do. One of which if you fit lights that work off the e-bike battery they might need to enable the software for it to work.

There is also a recent update to change the different power modes, 'auto' is a new one that for whatever reason not everyone is able to access it and the dealer needs to enable it for you.

On the whole though you generally won't need to go to a dealer for any updates.

8bit Barry

Jan 10, 2024
Devon
Yes the power index shows both inputs, rider and motor. If you're only seeing one colour that will be your input.

You generally don't need to take it to a dealer for updates but there are a couple of things they might need to do. One of which if you fit lights that work off the e-bike battery they might need to enable the software for it to work.

There is also a recent update to change the different power modes, 'auto' is a new one that for whatever reason not everyone is able to access it and the dealer needs to enable it for you.

On the whole though you generally won't need to go to a dealer for any updates.
They told me when I collected the bike that I didn’t have the latest software. I thought I did. The last update I did on my iPhone included all the different modes as I have been loving AUTO in particular. All I use is now ECO and AUTO.

Regarding the power index line, it’s always one colour. If I’m in ECO it’s always green, AUTO is blue. They don’t change. So are ku saying the line shows me a mix of my power and the bikes assistance? I thought it was just the Bosch.

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
They told me when I collected the bike that I didn’t have the latest software. I thought I did. The last update I did on my iPhone included all the different modes as I have been loving AUTO in particular. All I use is now ECO and AUTO.

Regarding the power index line, it’s always one colour. If I’m in ECO it’s always green, AUTO is blue. They don’t change. So are ku saying the line shows me a mix of my power and the bikes assistance? I thought it was just the Bosch.

If you're on the right screen it will show your power and the motor.

In emtb mode the display will be purple. The darker purple line will be the motor power and the lighter colour will be the power you're putting in.

8bit Barry

Jan 10, 2024
Devon
If you're on the right screen it will show your power and the motor.

In emtb mode the display will be purple. The darker purple line will be the motor power and the lighter colour will be the power you're putting in.
Ah thank you - I didn't know that! I just assumed the line was the engine power. That all makes sense now. So the line I am seeing at 20mph is my own effort.

As I said I am new to all the details of this system.

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
Ah thank you - I didn't know that! I just assumed the line was the engine power. That all makes sense now. So the line I am seeing at 20mph is my own effort.

As I said I am new to all the details of this system.
All good mate, there's a lot to learn which the bike shops never tell you!
Did they mention anything to you about gear changing?

8bit Barry

Jan 10, 2024
Devon
All good mate, there's a lot to learn which the bike shops never tell you!
Did they mention anything to you about gear changing?
No they didn't. Unless you mean to make sure I am in the right gear to get the most engine efficiency, and not to expect it to power you up a steep hill in a low gear.

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
No they didn't. Unless you mean to make sure I am in the right gear to get the most engine efficiency, and not to expect it to power you up a steep hill in a low gear.
Yeah it's important to be in the right gear, if you're ever not sure just drop back into eco and you'll soon know!

Also be very careful not to change gear when under power, especially when climbing. Very easy to snap a chain and damage gears.
You need to back off the pedal power slightly as you change, allow it to go into the gear and then power on.

8bit Barry

Jan 10, 2024
Devon
Ye
Yeah it's important to be in the right gear, if you're ever not sure just drop back into eco and you'll soon know!

Also be very careful not to change gear when under power, especially when climbing. Very easy to snap a chain and damage gears.
You need to back off the pedal power slightly as you change, allow it to go into the gear and then power on.
Thank you for all that.

I had been told this before, but the importance was not highlighted. The first time you hear a loud crack from a gear change you don't forget it! I do all my gear changing is sat in the saddle and I take off the foot pressure as I pedal. I have managed nearly 700 miles in the last three months as I don't ride off road very much and use the bike as a fitness machine for tracks and trails. I can imagine the wrong gears / pressure could cause serious damage / wear when climbing MTB trails.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
That’s not what I mean. Do the retailers, repair shops update bikes with software that I cannot update? In other words are the Bosch updates that I install using my iPhone different from the ones that a shop will install?

The software that you upload from your phone onto your bike is the exact software that the dealer can install for you.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
...or changed the support profiles. If they were all set to zero...or maybe - 1 or 2 or if dynamic was set the same......and they zeroed them all or "upped" them all........yep you would notice a significant difference. ( all of that is a vaialble for you to change/play with on the Fow App).
Cant think of anything else they will have done that would make the bike feel so different. A first service is mainly just a visual check plus a plug in to the diagnostics software.

8bit Barry

Jan 10, 2024
Devon
...or changed the support profiles. If they were all set to zero...or maybe - 1 or 2 or if dynamic was set the same......and they zeroed them all or "upped" them all........yep you would notice a significant difference. ( all of that is a vaialble for you to change/play with on the Fow App).
Cant think of anything else they will have done that would make the bike feel so different. A first service is mainly just a visual check plus a plug in to the diagnostics software.
Everything feels smoother and really rolls / freewheels better than ever. I just did 45 miles this morning and it was an absolute delight to ride today.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles