First real tech climb on the Trek Rail 9.7

Third-Reef

Apr 1, 2021
Did my first real technical climb this morning. The Boo Hoof trail in La Quinta Ca. Rated as difficult Black diamond. Its a rocky desert single track switch backing up a mountain ridge. realized i have a lot to learn about technical climbing on the e-bike. Did this same trail on my analog Fuel EX 9.7 and it was no problem because I was pushing it most of the way. First learning, when on the largest cog trying to climb over steep step ups i should put in in tour not eMTB as it got a bit jumpy and i had a few wheelies and surges that caught me off guard. Second, going to put the mino link in high to reduce pedal strikes had a few low speed and fairly high speed hit where i need to check to see if knocked one of my cranks loose. third need to pay more attention to down shifting before steeps as i get a false sense of the level of difficulty with the eMTB fueling my pedaling with its mysterious ways. Forth, need to master the over boost where you just do a partial pedal and it drives on for a bit, this would help me with the pedal strikes. I am going to upgrade the free hub to the 108 tooth version next week (parts waiting at home). i think this would help also, with the more accurate engagement. my Fuel EX had this and I notice the difference on the Rail. ALL in all a great ride with the technical climb/push and the blasting back downhill. Got some air on the way back down several times and did not pick up any cactus spines and did not need my new knee pads but had them on anyway.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Fifth - push enter button occasionally :)
Cover your back brake on techy climbs until you get used to the overrun. Turbo on emtb can be bit of a bugger on stop starts. After a while you will be able to anticipate what your bike will do & the overrun becomes your friend esp climbing rocky tracks.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles