First Bike for a Big Dude

HinduKush

Jun 7, 2020
Colorado, USA
Currently working overseas and looking forward to returning home to Colorado this fall. While here I discovered Rob, Steve, Sam, Phil, and some of the other YouTube emtb stars. They've sold me on getting an emtb but now I'm trying to decide which one. I'm 6'3" and weigh 230 lbs although I expect to take off another 15 once I start riding regularly. The thing is that I want to use the bike to do some long treks into the back country now that our government is waking up to Class I emtb's and allowing them on some of the public trails acoustic mtb's are allowed to use. I expect to carry about 35 or 40 lbs on my back on some of these excursions so power is going to be an issue trying to get up some of the steep climbs I'm already looking at tackling. I'm leaning towards the RM Powerplay bikes but am hearing rumors that some of the drive components are wearing faster than they should. Any truth to that? The Felt Redemption e30 looks like a hell of a deal at $3495 delivered or last year's Commencal meta power bikes look really nice but I'm not sure if the Steps 8000 has the muscle to get me where I want to go with a full pack. Power vs. price and known reliability. Should I get a cheaper "practice' bike and wait to see what the technology looks like in another couple of years? Looking for thoughts from those plus-sized dudes out there who have dealt with some of the challenges I've laid out. Thanks.

Josh ebike devon

Apr 20, 2020
Devon, United Kingdom
Hello bud

i did a lot of mountain biking In my youth and my weight was never an issue however I then got quiet into the gym and put on a lot of muscle and in turn weight so I’m currently 245lb which I never initially thought would be a problem until I looked at the maximum weight limits on ebikes. I purchased a haibike 3.0 all mtn 2020. I’ve since stopped going to the gym and have a goal to get lighter and reduce muscle mass. My bike has been awesome and I’ve completely rediscovered mountain biking and covering some serious miles. I have have had to make some alterations to modify the bike to accommodate the extra weight.The first was adjusting the air pressure in my suspension for correct sag etc. But the main thing I’ve had to do is upgrade my wheels to much stronger rims as the stocks quickly developed problems and could handle what I was putting them through. Hope this helps.

HinduKush

Jun 7, 2020
Colorado, USA
Hello bud

i did a lot of mountain biking In my youth and my weight was never an issue however I then got quiet into the gym and put on a lot of muscle and in turn weight so I’m currently 245lb which I never initially thought would be a problem until I looked at the maximum weight limits on ebikes. I purchased a haibike 3.0 all mtn 2020. I’ve since stopped going to the gym and have a goal to get lighter and reduce muscle mass. My bike has been awesome and I’ve completely rediscovered mountain biking and covering some serious miles. I have have had to make some alterations to modify the bike to accommodate the extra weight.The first was adjusting the air pressure in my suspension for correct sag etc. But the main thing I’ve had to do is upgrade my wheels to much stronger rims as the stocks quickly developed problems and could handle what I was putting them through. Hope this helps.
Josh, thanks for the feedback. What motor does that Haibike have on it and have you found it up to the task of getting you up the steepest stuff?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles