Firmware Upgrade: ???

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I'm a technogeek, and it weighs heavily upon me when I'm not running the latest software. I noticed the upgrade to 4.1.6, so I went down to the garage and set it up.

It all looked good, but about 10% into the upgrade, it shut down with an error that indicated a poor wifi signal. That's ??, because my wifi is pretty darned robust.

Everything looked good after the failure, so I tried again. It failed again.

I tried several more times, and eventually the computer on the bike was jacked. Clearly, the bike was no longer ridable. So I kept trying to upgrade the firmware because I had no other ideas.

And then... the computer on the bike was on, but no longer responsive. I couldn't connect to it with my iPhone, and I couldn't even turn the computer off.

Uh, oh.

Out of desperation, I removed the battery to kill the computer. After plugging the battery back in, the computer started up again, although it immediately went into an error mode. But at least I could connect to it with the iPhone.

I don't remember if it was on the first try after the unplugging, or if it took me a couple tries. But soon thereafter, I was able to restore the firmware. Now I'm running the latest version.

I only type this as an encouragement to those who might find themselves in a similar predicament. Except when the computer was unresponsive, the eTube app always tried to fix the firmware. And when the bike was unresponsive, unplugging it brought it back to life.

blueglide

Jan 2, 2021
Tucson, AZ USA
That was my experience trying to do firmware upgrades via Bluetooth. Had to have LBS restore firmware on one component. Bought a SM-PCE02 PC interface box and no more problems.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles