Firmware update via Bluetooth

Cleggy

Aug 11, 2023
Northern Ireland
Whats the recommended dos and don'ts for updating via Bluetooth to not end up bricking the system?

Just aeroplane mode? or turn wifi off too? Disable notifications?

Thanks

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
On both the Shimano and the Bosch I've done a few, open app, say yes to upgrade, leave it doing it. come back all done. didn't change anything on the phone or bike.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@Cleggy I've done what @VWsurfbum said, but I suspect that we have both just been lucky. Once I had read the advice to switch to aeroplane mode before updating, it made such sense to me that I resolved to do that ever since. I mean, who needs any signal coming into your phone when it is updating?

But having read your post, I suspect that turning off wi-fi and notifications also makes sense (belt & braces). Why take the risk?

Cleggy

Aug 11, 2023
Northern Ireland
I'm just wary of "bricking" it and then having to pay a dealer to fix something that should be tried, tested and flawless before it's released to the public. The dealer I bought the bike from wanted me to leave it with them for two days for what is probably a 10 minute (at most) job and its a 70 - 80 mile round trip for me to that dealer, so that ain't happening.

Bluetooth it is.

Ideally I'd have the SM-PCE02 interface but they're over 200 quid for something I'd use once a year if that.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Whats the recommended dos and don'ts for updating via Bluetooth to not end up bricking the system?

Just aeroplane mode? or turn wifi off too? Disable notifications?

People make it out to be a bigger deal than it really is. If you can do without the SnappleChat and Tik-Tak for ten minutes, just quit whatever apps might be running and then leave the phone next to he bike while the update completes.

Cleggy

Aug 11, 2023
Northern Ireland
Well that's the motor and the screens firmware updated to the latest.

Now to sit and wait for Shimano to update the app to allow the end user to configure these latest changes.

Thanks all for the input on this thread.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
answer....dont update!! I mean why bother when there is rarely any need? If the bike works, leave it alone!! Blutooth is a shortrange device to device comms which is rarely or ever used commercially in professional networks and has no IEEE international standard. The biggest risk of it failing midstream has nothing to do with other phone network connections except those that use the same band...2.4ghz.....like wifi....but you can force wifi to use 5ghz on the latest routers....or switch it off. The main risk is interference from other devices using the same bandwidth...usually other blutooth devices......door bells, baby alarms, some trackers, ...even a faulty ( leaking!) microwave. Blutooth is easilly blocked by solid structures especially metal ones so your best bet ( if you absolutely must do an update that offers you no benefit) is to keep your phone as close as possible to your bike controller and as far away as possible from any other blutooth devices ( yours or a neighbours). In a garage is a good location!

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Agreed, after all the horror stories on the Giant thread I even uninstalled their app as the bike works perfectly so why risk it.
However I've more faith in Bosch and have had no issues with the various Smart system updates on the other bike.

Astro66

May 24, 2024
Sydney Australia
I mean why bother when there is rarely any need? If the bike works, leave it alone!!
There may be upgrades in the new firmware. Like the current Shimano 4.3 firmware upgrade for the EP801 and EP600.

Also. You may want to add a new device, like an electronic shifter. And that new device may require the motor to have the latest firmware.

Also. There are often bug fixes. Now these bugs may be so insignificant, that you have learnt to live with them. But it's so nice after a firmware upgrade, that something that was giving a little grief. Now just works properly all the time.

It is always best to run the latest firmware. On the Shimano. You just set it off. Leave the phone beside the bike. Come back later. The screen lock will not cause any issue, and the update will still finish. Just leave the phone and bike alone. They are paired on bluetooth, so other devices should not impact. Though don't use a microwave oven near them whilst updating.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The majority of firmware updates are aimed at detecting the latest deristriction developments, and usually promoted as fixing firmware bugs. Yeah right!

Drew502

Feb 14, 2023
Hood River
I had the update fail on my 2023 Spectral ON CF8 but it was not because of bluetooth. The bike automatically shut off during the update and then would not turn back on. I had to take to the LBS and have them hook up the Shimano gizmo / laptop and reboot the system at a cost of $35USD. If there is a large update and auto shutoff on the bike after a short period (e.g. 5 minutes) this is an obvious recipe for disaster. Super annoying.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I had the update fail on my 2023 Spectral ON CF8 but it was not because of bluetooth. The bike automatically shut off during the update and then would not turn back on. I had to take to the LBS and have them hook up the Shimano gizmo / laptop and reboot the system at a cost of $35USD. If there is a large update and auto shutoff on the bike after a short period (e.g. 5 minutes) this is an obvious recipe for disaster. Super annoying.
a controller activates auto shut down after a set period ( usually 10 minutes) of inactivity....that is no communications. So I suspect your blutooth communication failed in order to trigger the shut down.

Bndit

Jul 14, 2022
Finland
I have done two firmware updated to my 2 months old Shimano. I put the bike outside with phone and leave it to to do the updates . I haven`t had any problems.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles