Fantic Fat Sport Integra First Impressions

pearsth

Jul 9, 2024
IL
Just FYI - I have no affiliations or otherwise with any brands listed below. Just giving some impressions.

So, after considering multiple options, I ordered a Fantic Fat Sport Integra from Upway.com. After the flash sale they were having with a $200 off discount code, it came out to $2049 + $99 for shipping (of course add local tax rates). It shipped quickly and got to me in less than a week via FedEx.

I had it held at the FexEx office and when I went to pick it up, the box was on one end "long ways up", then he flopped it over so the "fhis side up" sticker was upside down. I share this because it did arrive with a bent derallieur hanger which I am blaming on FedEx, not Upway or Fantic.

The bike assembled quickly, just inserted the seatpost and installed the front wheel and handlebars. The battery came about 50% charged by the indicator lights, which means it was at a proper storage level (not too high or too low to damage the battery).

It weighed in at 56lb, 1oz (about 25kg) with some light pedals installed using a Park bike scale.

So far, I have taken it only for a spin around the block but I can say I love the bike. The geometry is great (I am 5' 8" and ordered a medium). I thought it would not be slack enough or have to short of a reach, but I think it is really good so far, probably because the 60mm stem. I may even be able to drop the stem to 40 or 50mm.

I also have a 2023 Orbea Rise with the detuned Shimano EPS8000 and I thought the Shimano was very quiet. This motor on the Fantic is quieter, doesn't make a sound. Of course, it is also more powerful but that is to be expected.

I hate when people do reviews and say "for the price", which implies a level of compromise, but I do have to say that. Again, at first impressions the bike rides great, was an amazing value for $2000, but for that you are having some trade-offs that I would list as follows:

Ugly - The bike still has that "early" MTB look with the motor and and battery kinda tacked onto a normalish frame. I will admit my new baby is a bit ugly. It could be worse for sure, but when you look at the current Rocky Mountain Blizzard or Norco Bigfoot e bikes, you can see how the competition has evolved past this. The best price I could find on those bikes, however, was double.

Update - Ignore this TBD section, I didn't remove it as it would make the rest of the thread wierd. I was able to install a dropper post without issue by taking off the cover plate on the left side of the motor and simply routing the cable through the frames internal routing lines. The frame actually had some empty clip spots to clip the frame into.
TBD - I am not sure how easy it will or wont be to route a cable for a dropper post. Other cables for the brakes, shifting, and speedometer sensor are routed internally, but I am not sure If I will be able to do this easily down the same channels for a dropper post. Would have been great to come with one.

For the price I paid, I really think those are minor trade offs, one may not be valid, and I pretty much knew it going in. My biggest concern was the geometry, and since I love the way the bike feels, I am thrilled with the purchase.

Tom

2y3j3NjeSwytBtgcfYvekQ.jpeg

gqiiwIuwQB6qOxwEMKi3hw.jpeg

jX5jqo_0TfWG0VZ9w-CQBg.jpeg

Last edited:

pearsth

Jul 9, 2024
IL
Yeah, don't want to spend that amount of money on a dropper. I did some measurnig and research and I can run the cable internally and fit a ~ 380mm seat post. Found an X-fusion matic that is 360mm with 125mm of drop that should be plenty for $100 shipped. Going with that.

Digitalrogues

Aug 26, 2024
California
This is same bike I’m considering from upway, how is the torque in the motor? Also does the brose motor controller have any app support or customization?

I’m having a hard time deciding between this and the Aventon Ramblas because it’s such a beast for its price point.

pearsth

Jul 9, 2024
IL
The motor seems really nice. However, I am not the best judge because I have only been on this and one other e-Bike, my Orbea Rise M20 that has the shimano motor detuned to 65W (from 85), then the profiles stock detune it further, which I have left in place as is instead of modding them up. I will say the Fantic has a lot of power to me, especially compared to the Orbea.

It is a fat bike, and if you want a fat bike, there ar not a lot of options for name brand ones and especially not at lot at Upway's price point. I also have a set of 29+ wheels for it that are 3.0 wide and could take a littler narrower. That makes the bike really versatile to switch between the fat tires and the skinnier tires.

This is a link to the wheels I got, the 29x3 ones. They are currently sold out so you have to keep and eye for them to be back in stock. Just need to get the front rotor to match (200 vs 180) and 12 speed casette and you can swap them quickly, or swap slowly by transferring rotor and casette at the same time.

Here are some pics of the screens of the app. It has good during the ride info, battery level, and even does turn by turn local directions that are bike-specific, it seems. It actually routes you on bike paths to get to a destination, or it has the couple times I tried it. Also avoids things like expressways you can't ride a bike on.

app1.jpeg app2.jpeg app3.jpeg app4.jpeg app5.jpeg app6.jpeg

Digitalrogues

Aug 26, 2024
California
Wow awesome thanks a bunch for the info, it helps a ton.

My only other e-bike is a Murf Higgs which is a rear hub driven street cruiser, so I probably won’t have a frame of reference for the mid drive motor either, I suppose, which just means it’s more than likely good enough for me. 😀

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles