EXT E-Storia knock/clunk at full extension?

FirstAscent

Apr 5, 2023
Portland
Unfortunately no not really. I will say that functionally while riding it does appear to perform great, I guess that’s important to know.

But it continues to drive me nuts everytime I hear the clunk at full extension or slightly pick it up to move it. It just feels cheap, even if it does ride well.
I’ve since installed Ohlins on two other bikes and I’m very happy with them and no clunks!
I think I’m going to switch.

I get that some may not care about things like this but I can’t accept it at this price point. I should be 100% excited, not annoyed. 🤷‍♂️

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Hey folks - I took the EXT shock into Suspension Werx here in Vancouver today. The shock only has 200km on it since it was last serviced. They told me that there are known problems with this shock and they are going to do the recommended updates for me at no cost as my previous service was such a short time ago. They said they only found out fairly recently about the problems. Something about the shock not being able to keep its pressure. I'll get more details when I pick it up next week.

Hopefully now it will be more like the Push. If you're having problems with the EXT it might be worth chatting with the place you got it from.

PS - the new S Series Push ebike specific 11.6 is amazing. R Series owners (such as myself) can upgrade (as I did).
It's riding great now. Suspension Werx had to change the pellet to a new upgraded one.

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
I could send my EXT to annual service to @Jukka4130 and maybe loopback here if and when something obvious is being found. It's getting more interesting to know the root cause than ride with the shock :D

beutelfuchs

Aug 11, 2019
Barcelona
when my estoria clunked they upgraded half of the shock, seal head and all kind of internals. compared to its initial release I think the thing got heavily revised. talk to your dealer ans assure he follows all upgrade advice given by ext.

FirstAscent

Apr 5, 2023
Portland
when my estoria clunked they upgraded half of the shock, seal head and all kind of internals. compared to its initial release I think the thing got heavily revised. talk to your dealer ans assure he follows all upgrade advice given by ext.
For me personally, what concerns me is that I got mine straight from EXT.
I guess it wouldn’t hurt to send it back and have them double check everything though

beutelfuchs

Aug 11, 2019
Barcelona
For me personally, what concerns me is that I got mine straight from EXT.
I guess it wouldn’t hurt to send it back and have them double check everything though
I's assume they could track the revision with all details by the serial number. But if you have a problem anyways, I'd also just send it in.

Sand0kan

Dec 12, 2019
Netherlands
Ok my EXT was recently serviced and since i got it back i hear 2 different noises. A sucking noise and a clunk noise. The sucking noise vanishes when i slowdown the rebound. The clunking on the other hand does not. Changed the bushings with no result. The sucking noise is the 'the sound of permance' i guess which is mentioned in the manual. The clunking hoever? EXT Noises

Stange thing is that i did not have any of these noises before it was serviced.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Sir stacks-a-lot

Aug 31, 2023
Santa Cruz, CA
Ok my EXT was recently serviced and since i got it back i hear 2 different noises. A sucking noise and a clunk noise. The sucking noise vanishes when i slowdown the rebound. The clunking on the other hand does not. Changed the bushings with no result. The sucking noise is the 'the sound of permance' i guess which is mentioned in the manual. The clunking hoever? EXT Noises

Stange thing is that i did not have any of these noises before it was serviced.

Any thoughts?
Rats!
I just purchased the e-storia along with the long shock linkage from Cascade. I haven’t installed it yet but not looking forward to annoying or unwanted clunks. I’m probably gonna have my local shop install it along with a fork upgrade so I’ll do some more research and see if I can come armed with advice and videos from this thread. May also reach out to Cascade and/or EXT to see if there’s any more info that would help.

FirstAscent

Apr 5, 2023
Portland
Rats!
I just purchased the e-storia along with the long shock linkage from Cascade. I haven’t installed it yet but not looking forward to annoying or unwanted clunks. I’m probably gonna have my local shop install it along with a fork upgrade so I’ll do some more research and see if I can come armed with advice and videos from this thread. May also reach out to Cascade and/or EXT to see if there’s any more info that would help.
FYI, I doubt cascade will be able to help. Nothing against them (they’re great) but their link isn’t the issue with any clunks you may have.
To save time best to just reach out directly to EXT, good luck!

Jukka4130

Jun 27, 2021
Finland
First, and foremost inspect that the frame with all of its linkages is in full working order. It would not be the first time when the reason for the dreaded clunk has been found from worn shock bushing, worn-out bearing or loose pivot bolt.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles