Explaning eMTBs to people

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
The vast majority of comments I receive are positive and I can usually have a bit of banter with the clockwork boys (and girls). On the rare occasions they are arsey I just point out how much fun I'm having and ride on.
I was following a clockwork rider today and he called me past saying he was on his third lap and knackered. I replied with "Me too and my battery's nearly flat!". We had a good laugh at that.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I find that most people don't really 'get it' just yet. In my experience the general public and people that I talk to that are not into MTB think that its pointless and lazy! I just want to get them out on one to experience it!

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
Had my Dad ride mine, he was looking for the throttle and trying to go more than 25 kph. Pretty sure the general public sees them as electric motorcycles.

I find myself being lazy riding uphill in boost mode. Then again, I enjoy lift access and can't wait to get back on my Tues.

PeteIOM

Founding Member
Mar 11, 2018
Isle of Man
Nightmare... I've given up to be honest.. most call it a moped and I'm bored of correcting them haha.

Thing I like about Strava is I have data from my ultra light MTB, Roadbike and now my eBike so anyone I really want to convince or talk to about it I use that data to show how it works for me.. I find it the best way to explain that its not a moped and I still have to work :ROFLMAO:

Sylvain

Feb 23, 2018
Quebec, Canada
My eMTB lets me focus on the fun of rinding. I don't get any satisfaction of a long hard climb. I don't have a heart rate monitor, I don't care for apps that tell me how fast I am, I just want to have fun, going up and down. I only get a few hours to ride per week and I want to have a blast doing it. That's how I explain it and people usually get it.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Agree with All the comments above , some ,people have got the wrong idea of them , having only had mine for a short time Iam finding myself having to explain about the bike to everyone I meet . Why I got it and the fact I can do 4 times what I did before for the same effort .
The upside is Iam riding with my daughter and keeping up on the climbs ,we can actually race up the climbs now , both giving all we have and there’s not much in it if I keep in eco So she is getting her training rides and I no longer feel like I spoil her riding .
I find using eco only when riding with clockwork riders Iam getting a good workout as I did on my clockwork bike and keeping up with the young fit riders on climbs . This is what I find myself constantly explaining .
I feel Using anything other than eco riding with clockwork bikes is cheating and makes me feel like a fraud , But I do see many ebikers pedaling slowly wrapped up to keep warm letting the motor do the work and that Iam sure is what’s giving people the opinion they have . I know some people believe you can stop pedaling and let the motor do it all .
The answer is it’s taken my 30 years off me

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I got a site hoodie printed today and in the shop the lady behind the desk asked what the site was. I told her we were on online community of electric mountain bike enthusiasts she immediately said “that’s cheating!”

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
When people tell me im cheating my reply is “ the only people im cheating mate is god and my chiropractor”

PeteIOM

Founding Member
Mar 11, 2018
Isle of Man
Yeah, I turn into Eco Pete when they look at me like "thats cheating"... ohhh I'm cheating while you kill the planet with your car!!!

(I've given up my 640 mile monthly commute in favour of the eBike... /smug mode off)

Kendoji

Mar 8, 2018
Amsterdam
Today was just my 2nd ride on my new Focus Jam2. I ran into three guys on hardtails who saw my bike and went ‘wtf is that - is it electric?’ They were clearly very skeptical. I gave them my story about living and working in the city, not having the time I had to train like I had 20 years ago and that the bike really just lets me ride like I did when I was young and fit. And that it’s just good fun really. I then insisted that they all try it, which they did. They came back with big smiles on their faces. Not converted, they said it wasn’t their thing just yet, but hopefully I’ve done my bit for championing emtbs for the day. :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles