EMTB in the rain?

Jamm13dodger

Jul 1, 2020
Burwell, UK
So i was wondering how emtbs coped in the wet, so did a search on YouTube. Low and behold the Top video is Robs one called “Ride an electric bike in the rain?”.

After watching im pretty certain i have nothing to worry about.
Once things are a bit more normal any chance of more group rides? Where was this one?

Last edited:

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
Well, that got the replies pouring in!
I was thinking the same thing, after all the motor water ingress scares on here and on YT my ebike has stayed in the spare room when rain is forecast.
Maybe l should just go out on it.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Well, that got the replies pouring in!
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Maybe l should just go out on it.
Yes.

Just try not to get the motor submerged. Though mine has been for 200m once at 50cm and by some miracle still works - though I consider my guarantee void as they'd probably find caviar in there.

Another day out, very wet ... flooded trails :

wet1.jpg

wet2.jpg

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
That's a bit more positive!

After reading some of the threads on various forums l ended up thinking that bikes fitted with the Shimano E8000 should come with a bus pass, so you can get home after the motor fails when out on a ride.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have been out in all weathers on my e8000, plus transporting the bike on my towbar (three winters). OK, I haven't done any river crossings like Zimmer, but I have had zero problems with water generated issues. I cracked my display screen at one point and now and again I get some condensation in there that fogs up the screen slightly. But it doesn't happen often. The only thing I do not do is to use a hosepipe to wash the bike, I use a watering can and a bucket of soapy water. NEVER a jet wash.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Like he says ... No JET WASH !!

And try not to do river crossings (Stupid people do stupid things).. The motors aren't sealed round the cranks so water can get in and most of the electric areas would get wet if you submerge it.

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
ln the event that water does get into the motor casing, is there any way
for it to get out?

1981Miked

Jun 14, 2020
Dundee
Living in Scotland if I didn’t go out when it was raining or just finished raining or due to rain I’d never get out. I have ridden my Trek Rail in some really shitty conditions with loads of mud etc and I have had no issues at all. For cleaning I tend to hose the bike down but keep the main body of water away from the battery and motor area.

1981Miked

Jun 14, 2020
Dundee
My last ride a couple of Sundays ago was fairly wed and muddy. Was riding up in Ballo Woods between Dundee and Coupar Angus.
EF8D839B-1EF0-4F85-B9CD-3FDAE91ACA23.jpeg

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
Well, the above has made me feel better about going out when it's wet, so that's a good thing.

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
After 3500K of all weather riding and deep puddles all the bearings in my bike have needed replacing. Front and rear wheel (rear collapsed), cassette bearings at 1600k, headstock locked up dry, atlas peddle ball bearings dropped out when removing the peddles and I replaced. Rear suspension mounting bearings are all being replaced Friday! Engine has never suffered for being submerged!!

Tobers

Jun 20, 2020
England
I ride in northwest Scotland a lot and it can be very wet. I’m on a Levo SL. Never had a problem whatsoever, in the rain and riding trails that are more like rivers than singletrack.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
We don't get a lot of rain here. When we do I tend not to ride. Not because of the bike. I just want to respect and protect the trails as they're not used to water. But we do ride a few days after and there are usually some puddles and muddy bogs. Bikes and riders are filthy at the end. I have an E8000, EP8 and Fazua motors and never had an issue in any conditions.

Gordon

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
I would not buy a mountain bike if you could not take it out in the rain. If you could not take them out in the rain or wet conditions the trails in England would be very deserted. :D

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
True enough, l live in the Peak District in Derbyshire
So l know about rain.

lt was just that l got a bit twitchy about riding the bike in bad weather conditions after reading too many motor failure threads.

TBH l never worried about it with my old Bosch powered hardtail ebike back in 2016, l used in all weathers and never had an issue with the motor, except for water getting to the connections underneath the detachable display unit.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles