E-Sommet Rockshox 35 lockout issue

ceejays88

May 28, 2020
Wirral
Hi All

Newbie here, I have recenlty got my E-sommet (after ordering an ebike in January butthats a whole different strory)

This is my 2nd because the first would start up, however after getting it back I have noticed that the front forks wont lockout even when turned fully to lock position, has anyoneelse had the same issue?

I wont be using it much but I do like to use it when riding on roads or bike paths.

Thanks
Cj

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Firstly there is no such fork as a Fox 35, either a 34 or a 36. I presume you have the 36 Rhythm, and the bike is the one in the attached pic?

The forks do not have a lockout as such, or the ability to lock them out, what they have is various adjustments to alter the ride characteristics so you can set up the fork correctly for your weight and riding style. There is rebound which controls how fast the fork rebounds which will be a dial at the bottom of the right leg of the fork, then the air valve on the top left which is used to set the pressure to get the right sag for the rider, and then on the top right a compression adjustment, it basically lets you firm up or soften the action of the fork - even at its firmest setting it won't lock out the fork.

The Rhythm version of the Fox 36 only has basic adjustments, not necessarily a bad thing as the ability to adjust too much can lead to confusion! Forks on enduro bikes are generally not designed, or expected to be locked out, and TBH you shouldn't need to lock out the forks.

There is a good selection of suspension set up guides here - you will need a shock pump to set the shock and forks up correctly

Screenshot 2020-05-28 at 14.35.11.png

ceejays88

May 28, 2020
Wirral
Apologies, I meant Rockshox Gold 35 (i have updated the title)

On this bike below

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
The forks won’t lockout as in become rigid, but they should firm up when you turn the compression adjustment dial on the right fork leg?

They will still move, so lockout is the wrong term really, it’s just to help a bit on climbs so the fork doesn’t bob as much.

ceejays88

May 28, 2020
Wirral
yeah I find when I have the motor off and I want to build up power I feel like I am bouncing everywhere and losing power due to the bike taking the force from the push down. I think I will have a test in playing with the suspension pressure to suit me more.
I am so used to having a full rigid lock out on my old from forks.

Thanks guys

RocketMagnet

Dec 16, 2018
UK
I personally never use lockout on the front fork on any bike, I used to many years ago but all that happens is you forget to unlock it so you learn to just leave it open IME. Suspension doesn't just soak up the bumps it helps your wheels track and remain in contact with the ground and it's why FS are better up rough technical climbs generally for most people. Lockout can be useful for sprinting on a road climb however.. but I don't think the E Sommet is designed for that :)

Most modern suspension designs do a good job of isolating your pedal strokes from your suspension somewhat but they can only do so much so standing up and stomping on the pedals and bouncing your weight up and down can overcome the isolation. Lockouts are never true lockouts anyway and with enough force you overcome the lockout and they actuate as normal once a specific force is reached.. to protect the fork/shock.

So sounds like it's potentially a combination of technique, suspension setup and just getting used to the feel. IMO your generally putting down as much power as the grip you can feel through the bike.. it's a bit harder when a motors involved though and it takes a bit more practice but as your generally flying up climbs your momentum helps vs a normal bike where your searching for traction a bit more due to the lower speed.

ceejays88

May 28, 2020
Wirral
Little update...
I bought a shock pump and it had 70psi in it ?‍♂️
Set up my sag and played around with what felt best, it's now on about 165psi and feels much much better and now the lockout works, well it has a tiny bit of play but before it was almost as though lockout didn't exist

Thanks for the help all

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles