E-Mythique charger advice

Arnie35

Nov 15, 2023
Brittany
Hello all, can anyone please point me in the right direction for a charger for this bike. The bike I have bought isn't supplied with one and Chainreaction are out of stock. I only seem to be able to find are 43/49v. The pictures I have seen of Bafang chargers seem to show a round maybe 5mm?? plug but with multiple orange rings around the plug making me think they are not standard?

I am in Europe so easier if I don't have to get it from the UK/US.
Thanks in advance,
James

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Welcome James ! Great choice of bike :)

This might help :

1700071637276.png

There is a thread with lots of useless crap like that.

I'm central Brittany if you need a quick charge.

Arnie35

Nov 15, 2023
Brittany
Thanks a lot for that. I cant believe that Google couldn't find what I needed!

It looks like these might do what I need. I imagine that they are exactly the same internally but interested to hear if you know what the 'Canbus' might be referring to on a charger and if yours is Canbus?

I took a look at some of your posts earlier when I was buying some upgrades, very useful.

Not got the bike as yet but really looking forward to it. Where abouts in Brittany are you? We are in Fougeres

Arnie35

Nov 15, 2023
Brittany
Just looking at them further I think they are actually for 43v nominal batteries and not 36v charging at 43/42v. I will carry on looking....

CarolinaCrawler

Jan 30, 2023
North Carolina
There is a thread with lots of useless crap like that.
I was thinking the other day I wish we could go through that thread and sort the tech out into its own thread. You have alot of really useful info in there that's buried.

I still have hopes of Vitus making it out of this mess intact and these become viable for us in the US again one day. I was sold on this bike.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Just looking at them further I think they are actually for 43v nominal batteries and not 36v charging at 43/42v. I will carry on looking....
They're probably ok. A 36v battery normally charges to about 42v so you use a 42v charger.

This looks similar too : (2a not 3a, but the bike was spec'd to come with a 2a but comes with a 3Amp charger)

goto amazon.fr and search for "B08S3NHCQ4"

I'm nearer Pontivy - so not really near enough for a quick charge !!! :)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I was thinking the other day I wish we could go through that thread and sort the tech out into its own thread. You have alot of really useful info in there that's buried.

I still have hopes of Vitus making it out of this mess intact and these become viable for us in the US again one day. I was sold on this bike.
I've been trying to put useful things in the "tech thread" when I remember :) it's too easy for things to get lost in the main threads.

Probably needs a "faults/fixes" thread too to make life easy as we learn things !!

Yes, fingers crossed Vitus pull through this. An excellent but easily overlooked brand.

Arnie35

Nov 15, 2023
Brittany
Thanks, that looks like it would work, it is just the plug type that was worrying me. Is it just a standard 5.5mm jack plug as that Amazon charger has? Some of them seem to have two orange rings on the plug making me think there are additional connections other than just +/-.
Yeah 2hrs drive for a charge is pushing it! However if I don't find a something that works once I have the bike built my excitement to ride it might get the better of me!!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Thanks, that looks like it would work, it is just the plug type that was worrying me. Is it just a standard 5.5mm jack plug as that Amazon charger has? Some of them seem to have two orange rings on the plug making me think there are additional connections other than just +/-.
Yeah 2hrs drive for a charge is pushing it! However if I don't find a something that works once I have the bike built my excitement to ride it might get the better of me!!
I don't think the charger is intelligent at all or uses canbus and my charger just seems to have a standard 5.5mm jack. The other specs all look pretty much the same.

Brian VT USA

Oct 2, 2023
VT, USA
I never used the cheap charger that came with my (another brand) bike.
I got this one so I have the option to slow charge and have it stop at 80% (less wear on the battery).
It also has a cooling fan and a metal case so it doesn't even get warm when charging.
You can put whatever plug you need on the end of it.
(I have no affiliation with Luna).

Last edited:

Arnie35

Nov 15, 2023
Brittany
I like the idea of being able to limit the charge depending on what I am going to be doing with the bike. I have a gravel bike that I converted to electric and I end up charging it, then discharging it with a light bulb for hours to get it to the right storage voltage. A right PITA!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles