E. Bike lube?

ragnor

Apr 23, 2020
U.K.
I see that Mucoff are now offering a specific E bike lube. Is this just clever marketing? Will I be wasting my money or is it a great and fantastic idea that I should be looking to purchase. :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: (And use!)

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Delivery just arrived of Muc Off Ultraviolet ceramic dry lube.

Comes with a torch in the box ? (not joking!)

Presumably this is what they mean by an e-bike specific product

They obviously think us old ebikers with failing memories need an ultraviolet torch to inspect the chain afterwards just to confirm that yes we did indeed just lube the chain a few minutes ago

Last edited:

ragnor

Apr 23, 2020
U.K.
Delivery just arrived of Muc Off Ultraviolet ceramic dry lube.

Comes with a torch in the box ? (not joking!)

Presumably this is what they mean by an e-bike specific product

They obviously think us old ebikers with failing memories need an ultraviolet torch to inspect the chain afterwards just to confirm that yes we did indeed just lube the chain a few minutes ago
Thanks Beekeeper. Yep got that but there is a specific E Bike lube from Mucoff whichI don't think is the one you're referring too. Wet Chain Lube Agreed though that it's great fun (How sad am I?☹) to shine the torch and see the green glow. Beats the TV any time!?

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I've been using "squirt" for a while now. My chain's shagged .. my sprockets shagged and my cassette is shagged. I've still got loads left too.

Except they've actually lasted longer than I expected for what they've been through and way better than they did with muc off dry and wet used appropriately.

It probably depends a lot of how you use the bike and how you maintain it... but an e-bike lubricant is probably a bit of a piiiiiisss take ..

Remind me never to sleep with @BAMBAMODA or anyone he's slept with though, you don't know what kind of a gritty well worn mess you might be up against... :ROFLMAO:

Aitrui

Subscriber
May 16, 2020
Budapest
Squirt also has Ebike specific chain wax, I did not find any difference to the normal one.

Doesn't matter how much I apply from these wax based chain lubricants,they make my drive train noisier, so I'm using Motorex Dry power again if the weather is dry.

ebike_squirt.jpg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Squirt also has Ebike specific chain wax, I did not find any difference to the normal one.

Doesn't matter how much I apply from these wax based chain lubricants,they make my drive train noisier, so I'm using Motorex Dry power again if the weather is dry.

View attachment 34461
It's got "high pressure additives" ... :)

Let us know how you get on, I think we all search for the perfect chain lubricant..

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I just use the standard Finish Line wet lube. The bike has done 1692 miles and gone through two UK winters. The chain is at about 0.5%. The cassette is about done, as many of the gear teeth have small burrs on them. After my next ride (just so I can say I got over 1700 miles), the chain and cassette will both be changed. They owe me nothing and I had expected them to have worn out long before now. I have had the new chain and cassette for months already. The front ring is only showing mild scuffing.

From that performance, I would not pay extra for an "e" lube.

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Bike lube is snake oil. Some are better than others. Some work for certain conditions. All pf it make little difference. No one makes a refinery for bike chain oil. A big jug of the proper vehicle diff oil or chainsaw oil would be the way to go. I have some light differential oil that i used on my older toyota truck i use. Sometimes i just grab the spent engine oil container if its a step closer. Oil your chain, wipe off the excess with a rag , do it again in a few days. Im not paying $16 for a little visine bottle with "advertised magic in a bottle" lube. No end in site for my gear diff oil

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
I use what ever oil I have on the shelf! Not enough heat generated to make any difference really on a ebike chain.

Only difference is how long it stays on and how much sh1t sticks to the chain on a ride out depending on conditions.

I spray it with chain cleaner after the ride and hose it off as with rest of the bike. Then let it dry out.
Finally stick it back on stand in garage re-lube with (any old gunk!) ...

My rear sprocket and chain changed at 1900k were shagged. I also think that when I first got the bike I was very brutal on gear changes!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles