E bike at bike park wales. Yes or no

Neverbeentomoab

Jun 17, 2019
Middlesbrough
Going to bpw in a month. Last time I went I hired a trek remedy and had a great time. I’m thinking of just taking the levo this time to save the £80 hire fee. What’s it like riding at bpw on an ebike.

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Going to bpw in a month. Last time I went I hired a trek remedy and had a great time. I’m thinking of just taking the levo this time to save the £80 hire fee. What’s it like riding at bpw on an ebike.
You'll find that 50% of people there are on ebikes. I believe they now have a steep direct route to the top of the mountain specifically made for ebikes. This will be quicker and use less juice than doing the beast of burden or any other routes to the top.

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
You'll find that 50% of people there are on ebikes. I believe they now have a steep direct route to the top of the mountain specifically made for ebikes. This will be quicker and use less juice than doing the beast of burden or any other routes to the top.

Cheers for that nugget of info. I just took a look on their site and it is indeed the 'C5' climb. Goes directly up from the bottom of Dai Hard (y)

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
How much of a climb is the C5 and does that take you to the start of all the trails. Never been to BPW but hoping to this year.(y)

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
How much of a climb is the C5 and does that take you to the start of all the trails. Never been to BPW but hoping to this year.(y)
I've not been there since the new climb was made, but apparently you need full power and it's steep(ebikes only). It will take you to the top of 5he mountain where many of the trails start. The C5 route goes starlight up from about half way and bypasses the old route which went around the mountain.
i have highlighted in green the base camp (shop and cafe start point) and the C5 climb. The climbs are all in yellow...

6B295F08-EE6A-4C6B-96AC-3940ECA2CE88.jpeg

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
its awesome, I only ever ride up. steep ebike climb is doable even in the wet until you get to around the start of A470 and its pretty rooty and you gotta be a trails genius to get up the rest but its still quick.
if you dont fancy the steep climb, the usual way up takes you past popty ping and hotstepper which I usually sesh on the way up to the top. on the lower part of the climb I like to sesh the bottom of rim dinger.. all of these things are made possible or much much easier cos the the eeb

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
its awesome, I only ever ride up. steep ebike climb is doable even in the wet until you get to around the start of A470 and its pretty rooty and you gotta be a trails genius to get up the rest but its still quick.
if you dont fancy the steep climb, the usual way up takes you past popty ping and hotstepper which I usually sesh on the way up to the top. on the lower part of the climb I like to sesh the bottom of rim dinger.. all of these things are made possible or much much easier cos the the eeb

Surely you don't get a full day out of 1 700W battery? people were saying they get about 5-6 runs down, but I think that was using the long route up. I haven't taken my ebike to BPW - I think I would uplift to save the legs for the way down, as thats hard enough work as it is.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
What’s it like riding at bpw on an ebike.

Better than not riding at BPW at all , but not better than riding a normal bike and getting the van uplift- would be my view on it.

I'd always choose to take the normal bike to BPW - but if I didnt have one (or had to pay £80 to hire a normal bike) then I'm sure the ebike's fine.

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
I always thought uplifting the ebike might be good as you then have both pedal and uplift options. I haven't been for a couple of years, when I last went there were large queues for uplift even with the yellow wristband.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Surely you don't get a full day out of 1 700W battery? people were saying they get about 5-6 runs down, but I think that was using the long route up. I haven't taken my ebike to BPW - I think I would uplift to save the legs for the way down, as thats hard enough work as it is.
I get 4 or 5 full runs to the top and back down plus a couple of little sessions on RD or something.
I have a spare battery and usually end up doing 8 or so runs

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
its pretty steep, I can only just get up some of it in turbo.
then after the steep bit, theres a rooty steep bit.
overall its much much quicker but uses about the same battery and rinses my legs so unless its bone dry, I go up the road past popty ping which is great cos you can do a few runs on PP and then carry on up.

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Not to divert the thread, but what is the ticket / pass format at BPW on a Saturday for EBikes ? I've not been there but looking at going down a the end of March and on the BPW's site all the passes are red at the moment.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Not to divert the thread, but what is the ticket / pass format at BPW on a Saturday for EBikes ? I've not been there but looking at going down a the end of March and on the BPW's site all the passes are red at the moment.
choose pedal passes and there is availability for march.
if youve clicked on uplift they are probably all booked.
select your date(s) and then as many add ebike day passes as you need.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Every time we go to BPW and ride up we end the day saying "Fuck this, lets get the uplift next time!" We never do because we're nowhere near organised enough to book the uplift in advance and usually decide on the Friday night that we're going.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Every time we go to BPW and ride up we end the day saying "Fuck this, lets get the uplift next time!" We never do because we're nowhere near organised enough to book the uplift in advance and usually decide on the Friday night that we're going.
you gotta get organised now cos your bike aint powerful enough to make it.. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: 😜

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
Done BPW a few times with the e bike. I take 2 spare batteries and normally get 10-12 runs in. Its quite a tiring day, but I like the freedom of it, and always enjoy pedaling past the uplift queue!

I find the way up is the easy bit TBH!

Ian222

Oct 19, 2021
England
I have never been but would like to this year. Must say sounds like you don’t get many runs in but then again how long does it take to get all the way back down?

MrSimmo

Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
I’ve done bpw a few times on the eeb. First few times, I rode up the fireroad route next to beast of burden and got 6-7 full (blue/red) runs plus some messing around on popty ping. Usually ended up with around 25-30% left on my 700w battery (trail mode) and body knackered before the bike.

the last time, I did that new eeb trials climb. It was a trail/turbo combination and swore I’d not do that again 😀

Growmac

Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
I really enjoyed BPW on an ebike, I think it would be my preference over the uplift. We did about 8 runs with some messing around, and I used probably 2/3 of both batteries, one morning and one afternoon. They have charging on site, so you could easily hose the first battery and leave it charging while you used the second.

Andy__C

Apr 11, 2020
South Wales
I go loads, only live a few miles away and have an annual pass. It's great on the eeb and there are so many ebikes using the climbs nowadays.

I probably get about 7-8 runs on the 700w battery with eco riding (9 is my record one summer). What I've gotten into though is rarely doing a full top to bottom run and linking up various loops between different trails instead.

I got 2nd battery (500w) not so long ago - fair play a full day going through both batteries absolutely destroys you!

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
Do they only allow limited numbers in the park by booking or can you just ruck up and sign in to ride on the day. (y)

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Do they only allow limited numbers in the park by booking or can you just ruck up and sign in to ride on the day. (y)
The uplift passes are always booked up at least twoweeks in advanced. Pedal passes only are usually available, but best to book the night before you go so you can fill in the paper work in advanced and avoid delay when you get there. But I bet you can just turn up. Parking can get busy if weekend or school hols.

Elsketcho

Jun 13, 2020
Bettsyw7nw10
Riding up is my preferred choice now. I like the freedom it allows you, you can session the lower trails easier, I think you can also take a right off the fire road opposite the start of Popty Ping that takes you up to the top. Terrys Belly I only ever do from the fire road now as I don’t think the very top section warrants the climb.

As other people have said I’m pretty much dead before the battery.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles