Dropper post recommendations?! (reliable and strong)

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
Can anyone recommend a dropper post that they would trust with their lives?

I'm considering an upgrade and reading online it seems every make and model has its fans and critics.

I want a reliable post first foremost! (I'm fatty at 115kg) 2nd priority is rigidity - my current stock Giant post wiggles few degrees and it annoys me. Is there a post that doesn't wiggle at the seat? or am I a dreamer?

Weight and budget within reason too, please

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
Of the 3 brands of dropper I've used on my bikes, the first, a KS brand on my Merida worked well but had slight rotational movement.
The Bontrager drop line on my Trek has been reliable but also has a small amount of rotational movement.
The Raceface Aeffect 150mm dropper on my Altitude is staunch, plus it has the added benefit of a Schrader valve to set the pressure. It is also fully re-buildable as I understand it.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
I have a Reverb on my Merida works well, has no rotational movement but requires more effort by hand to drop, not noticeable out on the trail though with your arse, also has a schrader valve to adjust the air pressure.

I have a Fox Transfer on my Intense Carbine Pro, works very well and is silky smooth to operate and requires very little effort to drop by hand. It also has no rotational movement and it also has a schrader valve to adjust the air pressure.

The Fox Transfer is longer than the Reverb at 459mm as opposed to 440mm for the Reverb So depending on your seat height, leg length and seat tube length and required insertion depth one may be better than the other.

Last edited:

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
I must add I've also had a couple of KS droppers and they've both died early (getting stuck at the bottom and not returning), I found KS to have the most rotational play of any dropper I've tried.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Can anyone recommend a dropper post that they would trust with their lives?

Nope.
the moving parts and seals wear on EVERY dropper. you'd be a very foolish man to bet ANYTHING other than the fact ALL dropers will at some pointr fail

I'm considering an upgrade and reading online it seems every make and model has its fans and critics.

I want a reliable post first foremost! (I'm fatty at 115kg)
No post is 100% reliable.
Personally I'd just go with a cheap and cheerful cartridge based system like the Brand-X (Your giant also uses a sealed cartridge).
As they are simple to do a seal service on once in a while, the bushings are cheap (£12) and easy to replace. and if it fails within 2 years of purchase you'll get a new one. After that, a n entire new cartridge is less cost than a reverb or Fox service.

2nd priority is rigidity - my current stock Giant post wiggles few degrees and it annoys me.
this has nothing to do with rigidity. See my next reply below...
Is there a post that doesn't wiggle at the seat? or am I a dreamer?
They all have a small amount of rotational play. the reason for this is all that stops them rotating is a set of keyed bushings. Again a part that over time wears out. increasing that play

Weight and budget within reason too, please
The post i've recommended is one of the cheapest at around £120) and a similar weight to posts costing 3 or 4 times the price.

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
When replacing the giant post, you'll need to factor in a new lever unless you buy one with the cable end at the post. If you'd like to keep the giant lever, one up components are an option - reasonably priced, a lot smoother in operation, with the added bonus you can fit a longer drop into the limited space above the suspension bolt ( and use spacers to fine tune the dropper range + pump up the cartridge to change speed )

Mine just survived being dragged behind the car when my ( vertical) rack tilted !!!! The seat was destroyed, but the post ( and bike) seems fine. It's only a month old so I can't report on longevity, but I was seriously impressed it survived!

Last edited:

brash

Jul 19, 2019
Aus
If you want reliable go for bikeyoke revive. Easily bleed the ifp and it will go forever.

Fox transfer is also up there on the reliability stakes. I particularly like the light action when combined with a good bearing type lever (pnw or wolf tooth) the top out thud is pronounced and is a nice touch.

Brand-x/trans-x if you are on a budget. These things works great and go forever. When combined with a nice lever there isn’t much between them and droppers that cost 4x as much.

I wouldn’t recommend a reverb to my worst enemy. I went through 4 in a single calendar year. The new ones apparently have their act together but even as a massive SRAM fan the reverb isn’t their crowning achievement.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I've had KS droppers and Reverbs. All have failed either just before the two years or just after, except one Reverb that failed after two months!
Friends of mine have had Brand-X droppers for a while now and swear by them. So to my grandson's bike, I fitted a Brand-X Ascend II 105mm dropper for £120, including remote lever. It works very smoothly and has minimal movement.

Last edited:

Funkeydunk

Subscriber
May 28, 2019
Uk
I’ve just fitted a bikeyoke. Rock solid
reverb - wank I bent it. Hence the bikeyoke

I’ve also had kS lev it too capitulated quite quickly.
good luck

Russell

Dec 16, 2018
Iow
I have a Thomson and it still works after a year or two. A bit of wiggle, anodising has worn on the back and it eats cables. I'm trying a different lever because the Thomson one is shit.

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
I've had Reverb, 9point8 and 1UP long term. I have an SDG on my Decoy but can't comment on reliability because it's too new.

Of the ones I've used over a year, Reverb was worst, rebuilt it once which was agonizing. Hydraulic actuator bad in cold weather

9point8 over time needs constant greasing which is a pain, removing top nut to clean and grease --some Raceface droppers are rebranded 9point8 too.

1Up which is about ~$150-200usd has been the best one requiring the least attention, has seen lots of wet and mud and occasionally gets slow but a shot of finish line stanchion spray keeps it fresh for several rides. I would get another because it works well and is inexpensive and easy to maintain. Added bonus is that it drops lower than most droppers due low stack height.

All had some play develop over time at the saddle.

That said, agreed that all droppers will fail, it's just a matter of time so to me, dropping $300-$400 is pointless, just get a cheap one that works and when it breaks buy another.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
Fox transfer and one up are considered to be most reliable.. you do not want hydraulic remote actuation.. like reverb.

My hydraulically actuated Reverb works fine...for now :unsure: but still nowhere as smooth and light as my Fox Transfer, someone mentioned earlier to get a remote with a nice big bearing which is the most important part of having a cable actuated dropper perform smoothly, personally I reckon the PNW Loam lever is the best.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Specialized Command post IRCC
Very reliable, and extremely easy as to service. Which should be done regularly to keep them reliable. Service parts are cheap also.

StuE

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jun 4, 2018
Leeds
My Magura Vyron is 2 years old, still works perfectly and hardly any wobble in it and there is no cable to bugger about with

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
My hydraulically actuated Reverb works fine...for now :unsure: but still nowhere as smooth and light as my Fox Transfer, someone mentioned earlier to get a remote with a nice big bearing which is the most important part of having a cable actuated dropper perform smoothly, personally I reckon the PNW Loam lever is the best.

Yes.. change out your lever.. hydro sucks.. you will realize once you use a cable lever, I use Wolfe tooth with reverb.

Reverb not the beat though.. after a while it will develop slop and sag and it’s not worth servicing. Mine is still working but I hate it.. trying to kill it so I can justify replacing it. Never would I buy another reverb.

If I get a new post will be one up ?.. cool design with shims

KenX

E*POWAH Master
Jul 21, 2019
Briançon, France
+1 for the SDG Tellis, been out over a year and no reported problems yet? Works great and just bought another for LynnX's Lapierre Overvolt after the KS Lev shat itself......
Also bought a replacement cartridge for £40 as we share the same post travel (125mm), this means neither will ever fail :D

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
SDG Tellis, been out over a year and no reported problems yet?
Because pretty much no one bought one? :LOL:

it's just a basic non-servicable cartridge based dropper not too disimilar to the Brand X

Hasse Birkmose

Jul 19, 2019
Denmark
Because pretty much no one bought one? :LOL:

it's just a basic non-servicable cartridge based dropper not too disimilar to the Brand X
Five months on the SDG Tellis and it has gone absolute "spongy" - hard to find a cartridge in europe even. Dissapointing....

kntr

Sep 19, 2019
USA
I like posts with air or spring as they feel the same in cold or warm weather. Ive had a lot of posts and the PNW post has been the best so far. I went with the air version (bachelor), but I wish I would have gone with the spring version (Rainier). I have to add air a couple times a year but I think its due to the big temperature ranges I ride in.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
My Fox factory had to be sent back twice in first 3 months of ownership due to it not returning when fully lowered.

My view on droppers is that 90% of them do the same thing the same way, and probably have internals from the same suppliers.

One Up is a very good bit of kit, especially if looking to get as much drop as possible with limited insertion on a frame.

I have the Fox Factory, Brand X, and One Up on my different bikes, and honestly I cant tell any difference - the brand x has developed the most play, but its also the one I have used the most.

The biggest difference in my experience is fitting a decent lever. I run the One Up remote with all my posts, but have also used the Wolftooth and PNW loam lever, all remotes with big bearings and no play in there movement. A Brand X with one of these remotes fitted and set up properly feels as good as any post out there.

kntr

Sep 19, 2019
USA
My Fox factory had to be sent back twice in first 3 months of ownership due to it not returning when fully lowered.

My view on droppers is that 90% of them do the same thing the same way, and probably have internals from the same suppliers.

One Up is a very good bit of kit, especially if looking to get as much drop as possible with limited insertion on a frame.

I have the Fox Factory, Brand X, and One Up on my different bikes, and honestly I cant tell any difference - the brand x has developed the most play, but its also the one I have used the most.

The biggest difference in my experience is fitting a decent lever. I run the One Up remote with all my posts, but have also used the Wolftooth and PNW loam lever, all remotes with big bearings and no play in there movement. A Brand X with one of these remotes fitted and set up properly feels as good as any post out there.

My buddy breaks everything and every post he's had. The only seat post that has lasted him is the brand x. I don't think they make it anymore.

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
I've been on the brand-X since October and am very impressed so far. Very reliable and for the price, it's unbeatable. I even put onemy new non-electric.

Thanks for tip @Gary I owe you a pint! :)

Kaelidoz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Apr 29, 2018
Belgium
For what it's worth I've also used the brand-x for more than a year, almost everyday and aside the same old play you all have it is still very responsive (mind you this is the only dropper I've ever used). Even survived a 45km/h crash which destroyed the saddle.

It's true that the lever is kinda shit. It works fine but it's really unsatisfying to press, even on my bike with low end components and shifter, this one feels bad.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles