Levo Gen 3 Drivechain issues ! What chainring have people fitted ?

Chocolatelegs

Sep 8, 2023
Uk
What chainring have people fitted to the Levo Gen 3 ?

I have a Gen 3 Comp alloy, Long story short I snapped my standard NX chain, replaced chain with a X01 correctly sized. Slipped under load in turbo on first test ride so replaced the XG 1275 GX cassette. Rode lovely, thought I might aswell change the front chainring then the whole drivechain is replaced in one go.

So I ordered up the praxis 36T Ering same as I done on my Gen 2 Levo to gain bit extra use of the gears.

Ordered the lock ring tool too, got around to fitting it yesterday (bikes been un ridden since)

Fitted the praxis 36T Ering with the correct bolts as these are threaded and the sram xsync2 was nut & bolted. Took my chain guide off all looked good.

But I’m having a hellish time getting the gears to shift correctly.
Checked limit screws, checked b tension with tool, checked cable. Seem to get it to shift nice in the higher gears (small cogs) but after half way up the cassette it all starts misshifting and jumping around. Only thing that I can see reading online maybe the chainline has been changed with the praxis ring ??

Any ideas of what to look at, only other thing I can think is to swap the chainring back to identify if it’s back to working 100% to rule out bent hanger or mech etc

Sorry for long post

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The main aim with the chainline is for the chain to be in a straight line between the chainring and the middle of the cassette......that assumes the chain gives enough clearance to the frame/rear tyre. Whatever offset has been used by Specialized on your bike should achieve both objectives..............and since your chainring is not Direct Mount, the offset is achieved by a combination of the chainring and spider. Normal chainring offset for boost rear hub is 3mm ( ie 3mm towards the motor).
The 36t Praxis E ring is 0 offset since it expects the offset to be set by the spider. The SRAM 36t is 3mm offset as far as I can see. If correct it means your chainline is biased towards the higher gears and is therefore more angles when trying to select the bigger cogs.

Chocolatelegs

Sep 8, 2023
Uk
Thanks for the reply, Yes that’s what I had gathered reading the specs.
Standard xsync2 chainring is 3mm offset, but looks like most replacements in this case the praxis Ering I choose don’t have a offset which makes them sit further away from motor.

I was wanting to know if any one had issues moving to a none xsync2 chainring for setting the gears up correctly on the Gen 3.

I successfully swapped chainrings on my Gen 2 but the original in that case was just x sync non eagle.

Totally stumped why it won’t play ball, like I posted originally unless the derailleur hanger is bent or the GX Mech is bent or has the excess play/wobble in the pivot bolt/bush they suffer from.

I’m getting a second opinion on it today by the Lbs so will update on their findings

Chocolatelegs

Sep 8, 2023
Uk
Okay so to update this as it may be help to someone in the future who may be as frustrated as I was.

LBS looked at my bike yesterday. Checked everything was set ok Put it in the stand and checked the derailleur hanger which was out of alignment, realigned it with the park tool & checked the indexing in the stand all worked fine. But a quick ride showed the issue again that it wouldn’t cleanly shift. We both agreed it can only be the GX Mech at fault.

So…… i decided to turn this into a postive outcome & got them to throw a GX Eagle Axs upgrade kit on.
Nice ride back home liking the extra range of gearing again with the 36T getting used to the electronic shifting I’m surprised at how smooth it is. Hopefully plenty of nice stress free miles ahead 👍🏻

Reactions: iXi

Chocolatelegs

Sep 8, 2023
Uk
I looked on the Sram calculator and it said 118 links for 34 & 36T in High position.

It’s Shifting better then I’ve had on a bike before but never had AXS or rode it to be fair

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles