• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Drive train swap from Shimano to SRAM

spurty30

Apr 16, 2024
Cairngorms, Scotland
Hi guys,
apologies if this has been answered already somewhere on here( did a search but couldn't see what I'm after)
I have a cube stereo 140 which is running full Shimano set up drive train wise. I've covered 2500 Kms now and wear is evident on chain ring and cassette. Was hoping I could change to SRAM as I have a full SRAM transmission sat here (GX).
My question is will the cassette fit on the rear hub or are Shimano and SRAM using different spline setups.
Never used Shimano before so not sure and as I'm away on a biking holiday don't want to strip it to find out it won't fit.
Cheers

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
likely compatible. I am slowly moving bits to shimano from sram. Even the shifter/derailleur is compatible which I was amazed at.

you'll want the same number of gears/ratios though - for example 11 speed 10-42 etc

cozzy

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Well sram uses an xd driver if the smallest cog is 10 speed whereas Shimano will be micro spline or HG.
Although fitting anything but linkglide to an ebike is insanity in my opinion.

Astro66

May 24, 2024
Sydney Australia
I tried Linkglide. I found it shifts a little slow, and went back to hyperglide+.

I've settled on the CS-M6100-12 (10-51T) Deore cassette. I prefer the snappier shifting and just change the cassette regularly. Like every 12 - 18 months. I change the chain as well at the same time. The Deore CS-M6100-12 cassette seems to be the strongest 12 speed cassette I've used, and lasts the longest.

Changing both cassette and chain myself only costs like 80 pounds. So it has just become part of my self servicing regime.

Regarding the OP. The problem is going to be the freehub, like said above. 8 to 11 speed shimano uses a HG freehub. 12 speed Shimano uses Micro Spline Freehub. And SRAM use the XD freehub when the smallest gear is 10T.

So you'll need to list the exact components you have, and what you want to change to.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles