Does Vinyl Wrap cause any overheating?

wrayb

May 9, 2019
North Carolina
I see some riders are using the vinyl wrap on their frames. Does anyone know if this will cause overheating issues with either the battery or motor (or both)?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Invisiframe or actual full vinyl wrap?

Invisiframe shouldn't cause overheating as it doesn't cover any of the motor or any venting.
Vinyl wrap if covering up EVERYTHING could

Swissrob

Sep 4, 2018
Switzerland
It may but it is cheaper than body armour!

1567173473886.png
1567173473886.png

wrayb

May 9, 2019
North Carolina
I was thinking about completely wraping the down tube in vinyl but it looks like a bad idea with the battery in there. Ditto the motor covers.

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I have been looking for a US distributor of these. I cant bring myself to pay more for the shipping than the item!

1567198987210.png

But more to your point. I check the temp of the battery after almost every ride (with my hand, not a heat gun), and on my bikes, the outer surface of the battery is seldom ever warmer than the rest of the bike. To my thinking, at least with the bikes I'm riding ,under the conditions I ride them, a wrap would have zero effect.

In cold weather, they claim these "battery tubes" actually help the battery keep warm, and thus stay more efficient, so they must keep some heat from escaping.

wrayb

May 9, 2019
North Carolina
I have already had one motor replaced...not sure what happened...I worry about it getting hot since it is still summer here and my last 2 rides were full assist at 90+ degrees F (over 32C)...pretty sure it shredded the belt and I'm pretty sure wrapping the downtube won't make it cooler. It is a moot point now anyway because I put some graphic detailing on the top tube and stays and I like the new look.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles