Do I need to take out motor to change dropper post??

RedTed

Oct 1, 2019
Sheffield
Hopefully someone with a Rail will answer, I can only say if it's anything like my Powerfly FS7 then you'll most likely have to take it off. The cable on mine is routed past the motor and was so tight you couldn't even pull it through to extend the dropper. When I was trying to figure this out, the cable then disconnected from the dropper and everything including the motor had to be taken out. Bit of a mission... Good luck.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
You should be able to use the existing outer and leave the motor in place. I’ve changed the dropper on my Rail 7 and motor stayed in place.
This, just reuse the existing outer - I have changed the dropper on my bike more times than I care to rmeber, I alway change the inner cable, but never the outer as its such a faff (not a trek). before you install the new inner cable drip a bit of wet lube down the outer, will help keep things smooth.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
You should be ok. Just undo the dropper lever from the handlebars so the whole cable can slide easily, remove the battery, loosen the cable retaining brackets below the battery & push/ pull the cable up & out of the seat tube.
Use the existing cable & put it in the new post. Best if you get someone to give you a hand to push/pull the slack cable back down into the battery area & then refasten the lever onto the handlebars.
2 issues I found with the oneup is the barrel of the existing cable was a bit bigger than the receptacle on the dropper post so make sure you fit it in there snuggly or it could move sideways. Also I couldn't drop the post with the trek lever - more pressure was needed so got a Zitto one that has more leverage. I would also recommend checking the grease on the oneup post & redoing - it's an easy process if you look up the youtube clip.
130mm dropper - what were they thinking???

Sfs1973

Jul 26, 2021
Coquitlam BC Canada
You should be ok. Just undo the dropper lever from the handlebars so the whole cable can slide easily, remove the battery, loosen the cable retaining brackets below the battery & push/ pull the cable up & out of the seat tube.
Use the existing cable & put it in the new post. Best if you get someone to give you a hand to push/pull the slack cable back down into the battery area & then refasten the lever onto the handlebars.
2 issues I found with the oneup is the barrel of the existing cable was a bit bigger than the receptacle on the dropper post so make sure you fit it in there snuggly or it could move sideways. Also I couldn't drop the post with the trek lever - more pressure was needed so got a Zitto one that has more leverage. I would also recommend checking the grease on the oneup post & redoing - it's an easy process if you look up the youtube clip.
130mm dropper - what were they thinking???

I've ordered and am waiting for a Fox Transfer. I've heard conflicting reports regarding dropping the motor. Glad to hear you accomplished it without!

Zorg

May 5, 2021
I
Also if you need to replace the outer, or the outer moved, no need to remove motor. Just release the battery charge port at the bottom. The outer will move quite freely when you do it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles