Do better wheels make much difference for range?

Blindsay

Aug 31, 2022
MA
Good Morning,

So this is for my NCM Moscow+ but a bit of a general question. Does upgrading to better wheels help at all with improving range (I as thinking because they are lighter and have less rotating mass and then maybe a better hub) ? I was thinking of upgrading my (front) wheel to carbon (Assuming i can even find a 27.5" 9mm QR carbon front wheel).

Thanks!

JStrube

Sep 15, 2022
Atwater, CA
Road tires are a huge upgrade over mountain tires. I'm not quite sure what is available these days, but back in the 90s, I ran Fat Boy slicks on my mountain bike when riding road, then swapped over to knobbies for the dirt.

thaeber

Jan 26, 2021
Bruchsal, Germany
Rotating mass matters, and rolling resistance of the tire. With a carbon rim You can save appr. 100g compared to an aluminum rim. Choosing the right tire can save 500g or more (My Big Betty 29/2.6 Super Gravity weights 1.3 kg), plus the benefit of a road tire carcass and profile with improved rolling resistance. So the answer is clear, how to spend Your money smart.

Blindsay

Aug 31, 2022
MA
Rotating mass matters, and rolling resistance of the tire. With a carbon rim You can save appr. 100g compared to an aluminum rim. Choosing the right tire can save 500g or more (My Big Betty 29/2.6 Super Gravity weights 1.3 kg), plus the benefit of a road tire carcass and profile with improved rolling resistance. So the answer is clear, how to spend Your money smart.

wow, I didnt realize the weight of the tires could vary that much

Blindsay

Aug 31, 2022
MA

thisnis your bike? It already Has some pretty light tires. Honestly you won’t get much with lighter wheels. The rotating mass weight only is significant during acceleration. At its top speed via motor power rotating mass weight has very very little effect.

so spending money on wheels or tires is for very little gain.

are you having a problem with range now? It’ll get less range in the winter.

Just trying to make the bike as efficient as possible and as easy to ride if i run out of power.

It says the tires weigh 475g on their site. Weight aside though what about just switching from offroad to onroad tire

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles