DIY Beach bike cruiser challenge , salt and sand!!

Spidennis

Mar 7, 2022
South Padre Island, Texas
I’m about to enter the ebike world in the harshest of conditions, on the beach with salt and sand plus towing a cart.
This is my South Padre Island SandCastle Lessons kit.
I usually ride to my first lesson on the road, it’s either north or south , headwind or tailwind. The goal is not to tire myself out before I get to my lesson. I also don’t have to go fast, 10 mph is fast enough! I really need slow speed control especially when I’d use this on the beach. I do not want the euro pedal sensor where the motor kicks in once you’re pedaling 2-3 mph. I’d like a nice steady and control-able thumb drive so I can walk the bike but have e-assist going thru the deep sand. Usually that is getting onto the beach after the parking lot or going around groups that are right next to the water. The goal here is slow speed, walking speed, so it has to be very controllable.
Typically it’s no more than two miles to my class. South Padre Island, Texas is a long barrier island with about 5 miles of beach that I roam on and I’m about in the center.
There are different types of drive systems. Hub, front or rear drive. mid drive. friction drive. and the rear drive that sits on the swing arm. I’m looking for the best speed control while pushing the bike plus the best protection against the elements.
I’m also looking for a compatible donor bike so I can DIY this. A step thu makes it easier on me.
Also note my hitch to the seat post. This is necessary so I can’t have a rear rack mount type.
I know, electronics and salt, sand and salt water is a bad combination.
Ideas. Suggestions. Comments. Please.
1A618089-588C-4A48-B113-492A01341EAD.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles