Derestrict using Planet 3

Giantal

Jul 13, 2020
Coventry
Has anyone used this on a Giant?

I have a 2020 Trance E+3 and was considering it.

Does it mess up the Ridecontrol app? (which isn't especially clever anyway!)

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I have a friend with giant emtb - he likes it. I think he said it is good for 42 or 45km/h? It is fully enclosed. He's had it for about 2 weeks. Basically, for him, it is unlimited. He installed it himself - he does most things himself. Don't know the compatibility issues - he is in IT and of course avoided the troublesome firmware update, as most people in IT do. We tend to sit back and see how new updates go before applying them ourselves :), and then only if they are useful.

Hitorogoshi

May 19, 2020
South Africa
got the unit this morning and it took about 10 mins to install. My Reign is on the latest firmware. The Giants use the dual planet setup.
Installation was fairly easy. Toughest part of the job was getting my wheel back on.
Took her for a spin and I am honestly amazed. Get one! If you are worried the dual planet setup is not enough, don't - it's plenty. My legs could not carry me beyond the 46km/h mark on a flat road. The bike performed as stock and without any issues.

IanVersion2

Jun 12, 2020
Stroud, Glos, UK
Hmm, I'm torn. On the one hand sometimes having assistance above 25km/h would be useful (and fun, I'm sure!), but on the other hand I fairly frequently ride on shared use trails and the assistance limit goes some way to keeping passing speeds more sensible.

Seems like the more we all de-restrict, the more other trail users are likely to start seeing us as a problem and wanting ebikes banned from places.

I kinda wish there was a way to turn it on and off, I guess.

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
Seems like the more we all de-restrict, the more other trail users are likely to start seeing us as a problem and wanting ebikes banned from places.
Don't agree - derestricting doesn't make rising faster compulsory.

I ride no more quickly on my derestricted Cube than I do on my acoustic bike. It just makes doing so into headwinds, and up hills, easier.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Hmm, I'm torn. On the one hand sometimes having assistance above 25km/h would be useful (and fun, I'm sure!), but on the other hand I fairly frequently ride on shared use trails and the assistance limit goes some way to keeping passing speeds more sensible.

I kinda wish there was a way to turn it on and off, I guess.
I agree. We have an awesome amount of freedom right now. People are getting less tolerant - it's something we have to try to safeguard intelligently.

Hitorogoshi

May 19, 2020
South Africa
Did a big climb today with the planet3 - Hardly felt any difference going uphill.
Don't think that putting this on your Giant is gonna make you fly up and down the trails, cos it ain't. You just have that little bit more oomph when needed. You're still in control! This is most definitely the the best upgrade to my Reign after changing the handlebars.
Battery usage was almost identical to when I didn't use the planet3.

That said, I think this might only make you much faster on straight long flowing trails. I do heavy climbs with double black downs. It's nice to know I can leave the motor on now. Made a difference.

Tmeyer37

Jun 22, 2020
Fremont, CA
I just got mine today and installed it. It works as designed. You have to use the dual planet set up, i tried to single just to see what it would do and it would give a red light on the ride control. The downsides I am seeing is minimal but my garmin edge 130 connects to the bike for speed/cadence/power reading. So the speed is inaccurate because of the way the planet 3 works which is fine I can disconnect it and get the speed from gps on the unit but the speed and cadence sensors are tied together in the edge130 options so by disconnecting speed I also am disconnecting cadence. Again not a big deal but its nice to have all that actual data for us Strava warriors.

JC62

Dec 22, 2021
Australia
Has anyone used this on a Giant?

I have a 2020 Trance E+3 and was considering it.

Does it mess up the Ridecontrol app? (which isn't especially clever anyway!)
I've used one on my 2022 Reign for about a week. I'm still pretty nervous/unsure about it and I'm only trying it because my limiter (on what otherwise seems to be a great motor) seems to cut in 1-2 kmh earlier than my riding group's Levo's. The limiter cuts in quite hard compared to a Levo too. Coming from BMX, DH and other racing, my mates have always ridden hard and fast...I initially bought an ebike (a Gen1 Levo in 2016) because I have leukaemia, and keeping up with them would always make me get physically sick. Now they all have ebikes so I'm back to square-one with a slightly slower limiter than them...and getting sick again trying to keep up. I'm using the extra speed (on the quiet) just to keep up, not to overtake or be obnoxious. The Planet 3 works well and doesn't seem to cause any problems with the bike or the app. It's also nice not running into the hard wall of the limiter if there's a jump or techy section that needs a little more speed to set up. You obviously get more speed on the flat and on gentler uphills...your actual power is not increased though, so on steeper climbs you climb at normal speeds. The Planet 3 doesn't FORCE you to go fast...your speed is entirely up to you. I would strongly encourage everyone to be constantly mindful and considerate of other trail users that don't have such a massive advantage...a potential 40kmh+ on a flat trail is a huge amount of speed, be smart about how and where you use it. And be constantly aware that if you make the derestriction overly obvious on the road (even though an analog road bike can go just as fast), the police will likely notice. And being involved in an accident would be a nightmare of another level (as I said, still nervous/unsure).

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles