depreciation?

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
anyone got experience of selling e-mtbs that are say a year to 18 months old?

my hunch is depreciation will be pretty brutal, does that play out?

(yes I know condition blah-di-blah. let's assume reasonable ride wear but still in very ridable shape).

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
Two conflicting factors in the second hand eMTB market. Firstly, tech is moving forward quickly, so the sort of people with money to spend on a good eMTB are more likely to want the latest tech than a slightly older good-quality 2nd hand bike. That will drive prices to drop quickly.

On the other hand, the floor price for an eMTB should be much better than a normal MTB. Unlike acoustic bikes, there aren't cheap-but-new alternatives. If you want a mid-drive motor, a new bike is at least £2000 (HT) - £3000 (FS). That keeps the lowest price someone would pay for a 2nd hand bike relatively high.

I also have a theory that Deliveroo and UberEats creates a big market for 2nd hand ebikes in general, looking at the uptake I see in Bath over the last 12 months!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I would also add the most popular bikes (not necessarily the best) hold their value - e.g Levos tend to sell for more second had than say a Cube or similar.

Given you can pick up a 2018 S-Works Levo for around 3k below list from a shop, you can imagine that a second hand one is only going to be worth about a third of its new value now.

Unfotunately the tech is moving quite fast meaning lots of bikes will be perfectly good, but old tech pretty quickly, and second hand values will reflect that.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
They seem to hold their value slightly better than equivalent RRP non E bikes.
Which in my mind is crazy.
I'd not even consider buying an 18month old Emtb at all. Warranty is precious. Emtb motors simply aren't durable enough to not have one.

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
I think there is no answer. First around here, Montreal, Quebec there is no market. It takes a month to see 1 advertised than is it proper size, etc.. so a motivated buyer may make a reasonable offer also counting many shops are out of stock. On the other hand a non rider will tell you he can get a new one for peanuts wich is true but these are garbage. Also i guess some will pay 300$/month and some will be afraid to have to replace the battery$$. I saw 1 adverised was late by an hour or 2 but the price was low. It had to be a shop had the same unsold so was offering a large discount. Also buying a 2,000$ is allways easier to resell. Buy at 6.000$ and people simply do have have 3,000$ to give you so they cannot offer you more than peanuts. Try selling at peak season because some months some bikes are impossible to sell.

Last edited:

Armeniandave

Sep 10, 2018
San Diego, California
So I just sold my Levo a week ago. Bought it for $5500 as a year end
closeout and sold it for $3800. This was the full carbon which retailed
for $6800. I could not get a penny more than that after being up for
sale for over a month.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles