Damaged Spesh battery and motor

davegixer

Jul 7, 2018
UK
Has anyone damaged either their motor or battery through riding (hitting rocks etc)?

I've been looking at the available protection or potentially fabricating my own, but wondered if I should actually bother; is the stock plastic strong enough or is there a trend of smashed stuff. Levo or Kenevo specifically but really interested in all bikes.
Ta. :unsure:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
My Trek has a 5mm ally bash plate and it’s served its purpose; there’s a couple decent gouges on it from rock-bike interfaces. The frame itself hasn’t seen the same action, so I wouldn’t worry about that.

TrekPowerflyFS9_detail5-1110x831.jpg

It even has a bottle opener...

Last edited:

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
Mates orange has an ally bash, I'll see if it fits my Vitus but my husky 350 has an 8mm hdpe bash and it's mint compared to the ally one on my ktm 990 which rattles its tits off

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
"It even has a bottle opener..."

I wonder if the Strömer has a cork screw?

Nothing wrong with a good bash plate, especially one that sits slightly below the chainring. The Husky one looks just right to my eyes in execution and material selection. I have to agree with the barber that alloy bash plates are not as preferable as the one on my SXC 625 was noisy in that it reflected the lower case sound directly upwards. I wasn't really using it for it's intended purpose, as the bike was more towards the Super Motard spectrum, I removed it and the bike got immediately more quiet while riding. Although electric motors are more quiet I see no reason why this still wouldn't occur amplifying the whir.

Last edited:

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
*subscribed*
if i think on some of the hits my chainring (with the chain on it) took and gladly survived without damage, i'm not sure the motor housing, or lower battery cover can handle that without damage.... but i really don't know.

Another question is: does anybody with added protection on the motor & battery do notice heat problems? Maybe the covers do have an effect....

Btw. @Tori is talking about the two Levo/Kenevo specific bash guards in this video.
Links to the products are in the video description.

davegixer

Jul 7, 2018
UK
My Trek has a 5mm ally bash plate and it’s served its purpose; there’s a couple decent gouges on it from rock-bike interfaces. The frame itself hasn’t seen the same action, so I wouldn’t worry about that.

View attachment 3176

It even has a bottle opener...

A bottle opener! Awesome. Can't open the attachment though Doomanic.

davegixer

Jul 7, 2018
UK
I was contemplating getting one of these a while back but never did it the end...decided to spend my money first on other upgrades and come back to this in few months ... hope I don't end up regretting the decision :)
TURBO LEVO / KENEVO - SPECIALIZED - ROCKGUARDZ

Yeh, pretty much the same, I've looked at them but just don't want to add anything that isn't really needed. But like you said, I don't want to regret not fitting one.

davegixer

Jul 7, 2018
UK
Agreed, I've always fitted them to my dirt bikes, but never to a MTB. And a fair comment by Donnie about potential overheating.
Surely the manufacturers made the covers strong enough to take impacts, or am I being hopeful/naive.

davegixer

Jul 7, 2018
UK
Specialized call the black plastic on the Levo/Kenevo battery a Rock Guard, seems pretty sturdy to be fair.

aGX1sgI.png

Stumpy

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
Great video by @Tori , it definitely shows how vulnerable the battery plug is.
I think the Amygos guard is the way forward.

Thanks all.

I got one after watching @Tori video/review - I'm really pleased with it and the bash and dirt protection it offers the motor and the battery plug. It's well made too and looks like it will last.

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
Spoke to the spesh shop owner today about this and he said, the battery cover and the motor bottom are made pretty solid and can take a beating - no bashguards needed. From all the Levos & Kenevos they sold no one came back with a severe damage on those parts coming from a collision - what they had was a malfunctioning bluetooth, a defect led in the display and broken battery plug cables.

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
*subscribed*
if i think on some of the hits my chainring (with the chain on it) took and gladly survived without damage, i'm not sure the motor housing, or lower battery cover can handle that without damage.... but i really don't know.

Another question is: does anybody with added protection on the motor & battery do notice heat problems? Maybe the covers do have an effect....

Btw. @Tori is talking about the two Levo/Kenevo specific bash guards in this video.
Links to the products are in the video description.
Great video by @Tori , it definitely shows how vulnerable the battery plug is.
I think the Amygos guard is the way forward.

Thanks all.
I got one after watching @Tori video/review - I'm really pleased with it and the bash and dirt protection it offers the motor and the battery plug. It's well made too and looks like it will last.

I'm glad you guys found the vid helpful. It is a good product, and even though the motor housing is pretty solid and would likely protect the motor in the event of a bad rock strike, I have heard of guys busting up the motor casings - which are more expensive to replace than the bash guard by Antoine and Amygos. I ride quite happily through nasty rocky terrain, and having a quality bash plate is definite piece of mind. It also nicely protects the motor/battery plug.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles