Cycle Republic Haibike Halfords Warranty Debacle

Aug 11, 2020
Staffordshire
Im not really 100% which section to post this thread so it may or may not be moved, I am new to the forum so "hello" i guess :).

So a couple of weeks ago my yamaha pw-se powered Haibike Fullseven started turning itself on and off during a ride, this then progressed into it not turning off at all and then finally it no longer turns on at all once it eventually did turn off. I was under the assumption that this would be a simple motor out, send it off kind of job.

Unfortunately a month or so ago cycle republic went bust out of nowhere (they anounced store closures a few weeks prior, but not that they planned on shutting down the whole operation). So naturally being owned by halfords i rang up halfords head office and i was informed that if i took the bike to a shop then they would do eveything that they could to help, I also contacted Haibike around the same time who informed me that the bike was halfords' responsibility.

I booked my bike in to be assessed and after about 15 minutes the bike technician had left me a voicemail saying that they would struggle to get parts in and that i would be better off taking it to a local ebike specific shop.

After this advice i called halfords head office and i was just met with a rude indivdual who just kept repeating "but sir cycle republic is no more" and i couldnt reason with this individual at all! I then tried to heed the advice of the technician and try a local e bike shop, that shop informed me that they dont really see warranty claims as an issue and the manager agreed with me that it sounded like they were just trying to wash their hands off responsibilty, he also informed me that i should contact raleigh directly as they are the UK distributor for haibike and they are also very nice people who will try their best to help me out.

I then returned to the halfords store and pointed out that halfords stock raleigh and other brands of ebikes and should therefore have warranty channels in place for these brands. I was told they just order parts in or take them off spare bikes they have lying around (sounds ludicrous to me!). The manager of the cycling department then tried to argue with me and tell me that nobody on his department had told me to go to a different bike shop even though i still have the voicemail on my phone to prove that they did!

I have now emailed both Raleigh and Haibike to see what they now say and I am awaiting a response as i type this thread.

I just thought people should be aware of the current situation of cycle republic warranty regarding ebikes and the way that halfords are completely incompetent and are trying to wash their hands of any warranty claims!

Maxb

Patreon
Nov 29, 2018
South East England
When I had issues with my Lapierre also Raleigh the shop I bought it from were quite useless so I just went direct to Raleigh who were really one the ball and got everything sorted for me very professional and really good communication I'm hoping now you have them involved you should have it sorted out, they were quite happy to take to any of there dealers for the warranty work.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles