Cycle Helmets

alancube

Sep 24, 2023
Essex
All my years of riding road bikes I have never worn a cycle helmet.
As I have now ventured into electric mountain bikes with a Cube I can appreciate the need to wear one (having dented one already!)
However I get so hot with it on (a Bell model) it doesn't look like it would restrict ventilation as it has plenty of open areas in the design.
Something I'm going to have to get used to I suppose.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have broken every single helmet I have ever owned, apart from the full face and the open face that I own right now (and they are on borrowed time!)

The internet is full of pictures of smashed helmets that saved riders from a crippled or brain damaged life.

Do not forget that although you have had years of riding on the roads and not needed a helmet, you are now going off smooth and predictable tarmac into harm's way. The trails are uneven, shifting, slippy, treacherous and change with the weather and the seasons.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Either you are not riding fast enough or your helmet is naff at ventilation. Try a different helmet. My recommendations would be POC or Smith.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
All my years of riding road bikes I have never worn a cycle helmet.
As I have now ventured into electric mountain bikes with a Cube I can appreciate the need to wear one (having dented one already!)
However I get so hot with it on (a Bell model) it doesn't look like it would restrict ventilation as it has plenty of open areas in the design.
Something I'm going to have to get used to I suppose.
Just find a better ventilated helmet, up to date review below. I wear a Giro Manifest Spherical MIPS (white) - great ventilation and super comfortable, and wife wears a Fox Speedframe Pro MIPS (girlie colour) which she loves.

alancube

Sep 24, 2023
Essex
Thanks guys, will do some research - I thought they all looked pretty similar regarding ventilation!

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Besides certification and the UL and CSA symbols we find hidden within, I think a comfortable fit is important.

Not all head shapes are the same and there are some models I just can’t wear. I use different types of safety protection from helmets to eye protection to padding to gloves …etc. sometimes it depends on what type of riding I intend to do…so that can change.

I’ve only destroyed a a few MTB helmets, but thank goodness I was wearing one.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles