Cube stereo hybrid top tube and reach

nasamorpheus

Jul 17, 2020
Ljubljana
I noticed that top tube length and reach of my Cube is rather conservative (shorter) then usual on XL or 22inch e-mtbs. For example Cube stereo hybrid 140 race has top tube 641mm and reach is 476 mm versus Scott strike eride 930 has 663mm long top tube and 497mm reach. This is 22 mm longer top tube and reach.. What is difference between these numbers and how do you feel that on the bike? I'm ok with Cube sizing but I did have to move saddle more back coz it seems to be a little short. I am 191 cm tall.. When I look over the bars they are aligned with hubs. But interesting is also that Scott has longer stem at 70mm long and that's too much I think. Paired with long top tube that bike is big and long for size I think. Of course you can put on shorter stem.. Can somebody please explain me some basic principles about this two geometry different bikes?

bluewater87

Jul 12, 2020
Canada
476 reach is IMO very short for your height. A longer bike will feel more stable, make you feel more confident and allow you to be more centerered on the bike.
On climbs your knees won’t be in the bars and on descent you’ll be in a much stronger position.
Plus it will allow you to fit a shorter stem which is more agile and less “turning the bus wheel” feeling.
The bigger bike will come alive more at speed.
For reference my bikes are 488-495 reach with 35-40mm stem, with max spacers under the stem with a 50mm rise bar. I’m 6’2” or 188cm. Higher bar height is for playfulness/freeride setup. Lower bar height for speed and to weight the front wheel better.

nasamorpheus

Jul 17, 2020
Ljubljana
476 reach is IMO very short for your height. A longer bike will feel more stable, make you feel more confident and allow you to be more centerered on the bike.
On climbs your knees won’t be in the bars and on descent you’ll be in a much stronger position.
Plus it will allow you to fit a shorter stem which is more agile and less “turning the bus wheel” feeling.
The bigger bike will come alive more at speed.
For reference my bikes are 488-495 reach with 35-40mm stem, with max spacers under the stem with a 50mm rise bar. I’m 6’2” or 188cm. Higher bar height is for playfulness/freeride setup. Lower bar height for speed and to weight the front wheel better.

Yeah I can feel it's short, when I tried it seemed ok but now it feels too short after couple of rides :( .. And Cube say XL is for 190-195 cm .. Strange company. But hey what can I do, I could change stem from already long 60 mm to longer 70 mm and that's it.

bluewater87

Jul 12, 2020
Canada
I'd try the lower bar height and wider bars before moving to a 70mm stem.
70mm just sounds horrendously wrong for a bike like this. That's getting into XC territory. If XC style is more your thing then 70mm may be alright.

Tip for seeing if you'd like wider bars: just move your grips out a bit on each side for a test fit.
Also, if you have an angled stem, just flip it upside down to go lower if your stem is already slammed.

nasamorpheus

Jul 17, 2020
Ljubljana
I tried some adjustments but didn't like it. Now I ride stock settings and actually get used to, I only moved saddle back. After 300km I actually like it. Its crazy how nimble and good it is on track, better then my friends longer scott.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles